DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Homeplug / powerline

• nabster
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jul 2010 18:46 #1 by nabster
Homeplug / powerline was created by nabster
Hi does anyone use homeplug with a 2820n as i cant get it to work correctly my setup is as follows

Pc 1 connected via ethernet direct to router
Pc 2 connected via ethernet direct to router
laptop connected via wireless

1st Homeplug connected via ethernet to router
Ps3 via 2nd homeplug
media center via 3rd homeplug

The first three all connect fine to the internet until i power on the homeplug then i lose the connection with these and then the homeplug devices work fine, my old netgear router has no problem with all the devices connected to the internet at the same time.

I have posted the is general usage but no replies thus yet.
Anyone here got any suggestions to my problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2010 20:07 #2 by anoracknophobia
Replied by anoracknophobia on topic Homeplug / powerline
I've been using several varieties of the HomePlug devices for the last three years. 85Mb version of Devlo, Powerline and Netgear. They all appear to inter-operate. I recently upgraded to the Delvo AV (200Mb) version. Been running the new kit since March 2010. My set up is a little different... V2820 connects to PS3, Xbox and Slingbox via direct ethernet, then to other rooms in the flat via Devlo AV : Devlo AV to PC, Devlo AV to Laptop, Devlo AV to NAS device and Wireless access point. I get about 70 Mb/s connections via the Mains cabling. It does appear to be reliable, although the distances in my flat are short. I did find that I can't mix 85Mb and 200Mb HomePlug devices i.e. they don't inter-operate. Overall, they work well, no problems at all.
Are your devices all on the same 'ring main' ?
I believe that all mine are.
Perhaps the RF carriers used by the Homeplug devices may not like traversing the 'discontinuities' of the consumer unit. Good Luck.

• nabster
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jul 2010 13:41 #3 by nabster
Replied by nabster on topic Homeplug / powerline
The homeplug devices and all the other pc's work superbly with my netgear router its the draytek router that cant cope with all my gear switched on.

More
31 Jul 2010 18:19 #4 by thrain
Replied by thrain on topic Homeplug / powerline
I have some and they work fine.

What speed are they, if they are over 100 Mb the 2820 only has 1 x 1 Gb Ethernet port.

Is your home plug device connected to any type of surge protection, if they are they don't like it.

• nabster
  • Topic Author
More
02 Aug 2010 18:10 #5 by nabster
Replied by nabster on topic Homeplug / powerline
Hi thanks for reply

Yes they are rated at 200mb but As stated homeplug works fine with my netgear router which has no gb ethernet ports its only when i swap to the draytek that i get this problem.

More
02 Aug 2010 21:12 #6 by sohoit
Replied by sohoit on topic Homeplug / powerline
I have had intermittent connectivity issues my GB port on several 2820n routers. You could try a different firmware version? and/or try plugging the Homeplug into one of the slower ethernet ports rather than the GB port.

Moderators: ChrisSami