DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n 3.3.4 firmware issues, downgraded to 3.3.3

• ryster
  • Topic Author
More
19 Aug 2010 18:41 #1 by ryster
Hi there

I upgraded the firmware in my 2820n router to 3.3.4 about a week ago. Ever since though, I've been having regular issues. The first being the router just randomly rebooting itself, then I've had the ADSL connection dropping and then reconnecting at random times. The best one today was a hard crash of router that occured this morning. It just stopped working, and all the lights in the grid of 9 except for the center one were lit. I had to manually reboot the thing when I got home from work, meaning it was down all day and I had no access to my webmail.

Also bizzarely, it seems 3.3.4 doesn't like USB memory sticks any more. Ever since upgrading, the router keeps corrupting the memory stick by placing garbage on it. Files and folders with gobbledigook names, phantom space usage on the flash drive, etc. I've formatted the stick twice so far to fix it, and each time the router corrupts it again the following day after my daily ftp backup to it.

Anyway, I just downgraded to 3.3.3 which had none of these issues and will update this thread to confirm the issues have gone away, which I suspect they will.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2010 00:50 #2 by gmegson

Ryster wrote: Hi there

I upgraded the firmware in my 2820n router to 3.3.4 about a week ago. Ever since though, I've been having regular issues. The first being the router just randomly rebooting itself, then I've had the ADSL connection dropping and then reconnecting at random times. The best one today was a hard crash of router that occured this morning. It just stopped working, and all the lights in the grid of 9 except for the center one were lit. I had to manually reboot the thing when I got home from work, meaning it was down all day and I had no access to my webmail.

Also bizzarely, it seems 3.3.4 doesn't like USB memory sticks any more. Ever since upgrading, the router keeps corrupting the memory stick by placing garbage on it. Files and folders with gobbledigook names, phantom space usage on the flash drive, etc. I've formatted the stick twice so far to fix it, and each time the router corrupts it again the following day after my daily ftp backup to it.

Anyway, I just downgraded to 3.3.3 which had none of these issues and will update this thread to confirm the issues have gone away, which I suspect they will.

I upgraded my 2820n to 3.3.4 using the .rst code and all seem fine for a while. USB worked, wireless ok, and stable and then strange things started to happen. Wireless would become unstable, adsl connection would drop. Went back to 3.3.3 again via .rst and alls been just fine since. Shame the release notes for 3.3.4 say "known issues - none". I think the Draytek QA process was basically skipped based on my experience and reading the forums. Come on Draytek pull your fingers out and release 3.3.5 as a fully tested firmware, or just own up to all the issues introduced into 3.3.4..... :oops:

More
20 Aug 2010 08:51 #3 by rothers

gmegson wrote: I upgraded my 2820n to 3.3.4 using the .rst code and all seem fine for a while. USB worked, wireless ok, and stable and then strange things started to happen. Wireless would become unstable, adsl connection would drop. Went back to 3.3.3 again via .rst and alls been just fine since. Shame the release notes for 3.3.4 say "known issues - none". I think the Draytek QA process was basically skipped based on my experience and reading the forums. Come on Draytek pull your fingers out and release 3.3.5 as a fully tested firmware, or just own up to all the issues introduced into 3.3.4..... :oops:

Same here, been running 3.3.4 happily (blissful ignorance probably) for over a month now but recently odd things have started to happen. Line drops and then won't restart PPPoA, SNR Margin gradually drops over time until it becomes unusable (gets as low as 3dB), 3.3.3 would resync at a lower speed, 3.3.4 doesn't, odd behaviour with USB SMB, users can connect then can't. This is on a line which is normally rock steady, 10Mb download sync at 10dB SNR, 37 att.

Anyway back to 3.3.3 for me.

More
07 Sep 2010 16:20 #4 by markiebrown
Replied by markiebrown on topic 2820n 3.3.4 firmware issues, downgraded to 3.3.3
Why on earth does every single firmware update, without fail break more than it fixes.
Somebody should be sacked!

• mgillespie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2010 19:58 #5 by mgillespie
Replied by mgillespie on topic 2820n 3.3.4 firmware issues, downgraded to 3.3.3
Hi, just bought a 2820n (new) as I got sick of all the grief from my netgear router, and needed the stability my old Draytek gave me.

Should I be concerned over the problems, is EVERYONE having these problems with 3.3.4? Are there any updates on the way to fix these issues.

Stuck deciding to install it or not. The things that ARE fixed are many (the changelog is HUGE!), but it seems there may be a stability regression.

The primary reason I shelled out £160 on one of these, is to achieve stability. I want decent uptime.

More
28 Sep 2010 21:09 #6 by vanaalten
Replied by vanaalten on topic 2820n 3.3.4 firmware issues, downgraded to 3.3.3
Since you ask:
Running 3.3.4 since it came out, never had a problem with it. Stability is fine, never needed to reboot.

I used to have stability issues with Wifi, especially 802.11n, but last couple of weeks it seems stable - could be because of the 3.3.4 upgrade, not sure there.

Situation: home use, a few wireless clients (802.11n & 802.11g), four wired clients of which one is running 24/7. ADSL2+ connection, 4Mbps down, ~930kbps upstream.

Compare it to my recent experiences with a Fritz!Box 7390: unstable DSL connection, low upstream speed (770kbps) and poorly/no functioning NAT loopback. I went for the 7390 hoping that the 5GHz wifi would result in a better wireless speed.

So: no, I'm fairly happy with the 2820Vn. Stability is no problem here.

Moderators: ChrisSami