DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help! 2820Vn bricked?

• clarkac
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2010 18:36 #1 by clarkac
Help! 2820Vn bricked? was created by clarkac
After noticing a problem with firmware 3.3.4 (web pages not showing when accessed through VPN) I decided to go back to 3.3.3. which had been solid. After a few seconds of updating the firmware, contact was lost with the router - but never returned. Eventually I power cycled the router, but no joy. Now the lights seem to be in a loop - first 3 left lights solid, then ACT flashes slowly, then is steady, then all lights flash, then the 3 left hand ones are on, then it clicks (powers off?) and starts over. I can't access it at all. So, I have tried a hardware reset, but the ACT light goes solid and doesn't start rapidly flashing as it's supposed to - well it does eventually but actually is staying in the same loop as described. I guess the hardware reset isn't working.

The hardware reset is described as a button in the manual, but it's a hole - I pressed a match in the hole.

Any ideas? This router - which has been great - is looking like a brick right now.

Andy Clark :(

Andy Clark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clarkac
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2010 18:57 #2 by clarkac
Replied by clarkac on topic Help! 2820Vn bricked?
Just notice this forum item http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14498&highlight=reset+2820 so will give it a try.

Andy Clark

• clarkac
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2010 20:00 #3 by clarkac
Tried the above - didn't work got a time out. Noticed these routers are under warranty for 2 years... this one is less than 2 years old..maybe a replacement?!

Andy Clark

More
08 Oct 2010 21:19 #4 by weehappypixie
Replied by weehappypixie on topic Help! 2820Vn bricked?
Are you connected directly to the router via cable?
Have you tried changing the timeout?

I have done this about 50 times or so over the years on various DrayTek bricks and it has cured it every time. It can be recovered.

John

• clarkac
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2010 00:44 #5 by clarkac
Hi John

Yes. connected via cable to port 1 as described. Timed out after about 10 secs, whatever I set the timeout to.

Andy Clark

More
10 Oct 2010 12:38 #6 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic Help! 2820Vn bricked?
last time I had to go through this process I couldn't get it to work with windows 7 (64bit) at all. Reverted to an old laptop running xp and it worked fine.

Moderators: ChrisSami