Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Load balancing problems

• gifted
  • Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2010 12:15 #1 by gifted
2820 Load balancing problems was created by gifted
Hi,

Im setting up a new office and this is unfortunately my first look at a draytek product.

I purchased it specifically for the dual WAN capabilities as the office has moved from a town into a more rural location, and therefore ADFSL speeds are not as good.

I have 2 BT Business ADSL lines. first direct on WAN1 and the second on WAN2 via a Vigor 120 Modem. WAN1 has our fixed IP's and WAN2 is just a plant BT Business ADSL line.

When i set the router to auto load balance with both WAN ports running, web browsing is slow and all over the place. but if i only enable one of the connections it works perfectly. (i.e - WAN1 Enabled and WAN2 Disabled, or WAN2 enabled and WAN1 disabled)

I have tried using the load balancing menu to route all web traffic to either WAN1 or WAN2 but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Im probably missing something stupid as im not familiar with Draytek routers.... any ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2010 20:40 #2 by sbv3000
Replied by sbv3000 on topic 2820 Load balancing problems
try setting the dns servers manually to those of the business adsl service and see if it improves browsing.

• gifted
  • Topic Author
More
20 Oct 2010 16:45 #3 by gifted
Replied by gifted on topic 2820 Load balancing problems
ok I have been playing around and have more information but still no fix.

I updated the firmware to the latest 3.3.4.1 and have also been playing with my server dns which ironed out a few issues and helped with overall performance.

I thought the issue was entirely fixed until i looked at the traffic graph and saw that no traffic gets routed through WAN2, just a few hundred KB's.

If i route all traffic through WAN2, workstations drop web and the data graph shows a max peak rate of only 100-200kb. If I route through WAN1 we have about 6000kb on that line.

Strange thing being if i disable WAN1, WAN2 runs at full speed (same as WAN1).

Why wont both lines run at full speed together?

I have also tried setting the line speeds manually instead of auto, but it makes no difference. To sum it up... it appears WAN2 only works on its own. The lines wont work correctly together.

Any Ideas?

More
20 Oct 2010 22:06 #4 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic 2820 Load balancing problems

Gifted wrote: ...Any Ideas?

Is the 120 Modem on latest firmware?

If you run a speedtest on each line do they perform equally well?

What about setting all traffic to go on Wan1, and if it fails Wan2?

To exploit the redundancy of your unit, would it have been better to have a differenct ISP on WAN2? (ideally a different technology, althought I realise Cable may not be available in your more rural location).

Regards, Neal

More
20 Oct 2010 22:38 #5 by reado
Replied by reado on topic 2820 Load balancing problems
Do you have any QoS configured for either WAN?

• gifted
  • Topic Author
More
21 Oct 2010 09:04 #6 by gifted
Replied by gifted on topic 2820 Load balancing problems
Yea the 120 is on latest firmware, I only brought the 120 modem in the first place as previously I tried a netgear router and a bt router but had the same issues. I assumed it was due to the router and thought the 120 was a better solutions as it lets the 2820 control the line.

If i setup the lines independently they both get the same speed test results.

Not tried setting up traffic only to move to wan2 if wan1 fails. but this not really how i want it to work. If line 1 fails then im sure line 2 will also be dropped as they are both BT anyway.

We are completely in the middle of nowhere as it an old barn conversation, and I know its better to have different solutions for each WAN for redundancy but there is only BT available here. Any other ISP still goes through BT so the only reason for the 2 lines was to increase speed on the network, which is not happening at the moment.

all QoS settings are factory default at the moment if you think that makes any difference.

Moderators: ChrisSami