DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Can I find how much I'm downloading every month on my 2820

More
05 Jan 2011 07:36 #65459 by bb193
I have a 2820Vn at home with firmware 3.3.4.1_232201, which I use to connect to BT broadband. I have five or six devices that use it to connect to the internet, but none of them are on all the time (although the router is).

I'd like to know roughly how much is downloaded through the router every month, so I can see if there is a decent broadband tarif with limited download for me. So is 10Gb enough, or 40Gb, or do I need unlimited?

Is there a way to see how much I'm downloading every month?

I can see the TX and RX packet counts, but I don't know how they relate to download (if at all).

Any help gratefully received.
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2011 09:36 #65461 by voodle
Not per month per se, unless you reboot the router specifically once a month - but you can check the current upload / download amount from the Diagnostics - Traffic Graph page in the text just below the graph with that firmware :)

More
05 Jan 2011 10:54 #65462 by rpg

bb193 wrote: which I use to connect to BT broadband.

Its a bit of a pain but if you phone BT and ask them they WILL be able to tell you exactly what your usage is and has been.

More
05 Jan 2011 11:00 #65463 by bb193
Thanks for all the replies :)

I don't need it terribly precise. I just wondered if I could make a note of the count of RX packets on one day, then after a known period, count the number on another day, subtract the stating value from the end value to find the number of RX packets over that time and then mulitply it by something (packet size?) to get an approximate download figure? I guess the packet sizes are not the same each time?

It just seems such an obvious thing to want to know - is there really no easy way to get an approximate figure?

More
05 Jan 2011 14:07 #65469 by voodle
The RX packets don't have a constant size because of the way TCP/IP and MTU sizes work so you can't really work out data transfer from that - the bit in Traffic Graph is accurate though - you can compare that with the router uptime to work out how much you've downloaded over that time period.

More
06 Jan 2011 13:40 #65499 by sbv3000
you could use smart monitor or a freeware tool like Paessler PRTG but this means having a PC left on to collect the data.

Moderators: ChrisSami