DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

ADSL dropout

• adrben
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jun 2011 21:18 #68057 by adrben
ADSL dropout was created by adrben
My ADSL line seems to be dropping out with increasing frequency over the last few months such that downloading larger files, or buying online is sometimes very difficult. The signal on my Vigor 2800VG appears to drop out very transiently and almost immediately begins the recovery process so that it takes about 10 seconds to recover. The ACT light on the router becomes continuous at point of dropout and after a few seconds resumes flashing. The QoS light remains on. The ADSl light goes off, flashes and then returns to steady state. Is the router most likely at fault or is there more likely a line fault? The router is on a fixed extension to the Master box. I am using the original firmware (2.7.1) and ADSL firmware E28.2.23 Annex A. The router has worked well over recent years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2011 18:53 #68060 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: ADSL dropout
This may be too obvious but I had better ask: Is there any chance that this happens when the phone rings with an incoming call?

• adrben
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jun 2011 20:17 #68065 by adrben
Replied by adrben on topic Re: ADSL dropout
There is no association with telephone usage at all. It occurs seemingly randomly. I wondered if it was the router as disconnecting the phone line from the router when it is 'on' and connected does not cause the ACT light to become continuous before resetting its normal 'blinking' state, as it does in this case.

More
05 Jun 2011 22:09 #68067 by jedi98
Hmmm.... this ACT light freezing is a bit odd. In low level terms, I think that is driven by a software timer and freezing means either it rebooted or it got so busy it cannot service the timer. Either way that does not help since neither of those things should be happening.

Now I have had a couple of 2600 / 2800 units that got their flash corrupted and had to be re-flashed, but retained all their settings, however the symptoms were way more extreme with no normal activity.

Is the uptime resetting or just the connect time?

You could re-flash with the published FW, but that seems like a bit of a stab in the dark. I'm guessing you have no spare router to try or other ADSL line to try it on.

• adrben
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jun 2011 23:20 #68069 by adrben
Replied by adrben on topic Re: ADSL dropout
Thanks for the reply. I'm not very knowledgable in respect of routers and wasn't sure what you meant by the 'uptime' and 'connect time'. Is this something I can find out from the web page data. I did note the SNR was 16.5 db which I guess is OK. Sadly I don't have a spare router.

More
05 Jun 2011 23:30 #68070 by jedi98
SNR 16.5dB is ok.

In the web interface, under online status, you can see the 'System Uptime' (how long the router has been up since it was rebooted, h:m:s) and the WAN 'up time' which is how long since the PPP connected to your provider, again h:m:s.

Moderators: Sami