DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n USB performance *SLOW*

• ismoore999
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jul 2011 20:08 #68444 by ismoore999
2820n USB performance *SLOW* was created by ismoore999
Does anyone find it easy to use the USB on a 2820n?

Setting up seems erratic and it does not always seem to allow access to the samba share.
Also it is incredibly slow - I find I average somewhere between 200kB and 1Mb/s, downloading from the internet is faster than FTPing from the local server.

From Windows 7 it never seems possible to access the samba share as I always get bad password, and periodically unexpected errors occur where nothing will connect or it gives incorrect password.

Is this some beta bit of software that has not been tested because the performance makes it not worth using?

Regards
Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 13:27 #68506 by myasinax
Replied by myasinax on topic Re: 2820n USB performance *SLOW*
I am having very similar issues using a 32Gb flash usb drive attached. The 2820 only recognises FAT32 files and apparently can only see up to 32Gb drives formatted like this (I tried an 80Gb drive forced formatted to FAT32 and it did not see it). Fileserving is extremely slow at about 500Kb, using Windows 7 and on trying to access it using a Sonos server, it comes up as Not Found (although the library of music can be built).
It seems as if the CPU for the Vigor can't handle USB storage of any form, unless I'm doing something wrong with the set up of the share? It does automatically create a 'public' folder. If you have no issues on your network, I would suggest you drag your files into this folder as it will negate any issues you have in regard to password/user access.

• ismoore999
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jul 2011 23:44 #68532 by ismoore999
Replied by ismoore999 on topic Re: 2820n USB performance *SLOW*
FTP manages faster speed though not by much.
You may be right about CPU. Samba needs a lot of CPU so maybe that is the issue.
I now get log in issues.
I think that to say that it can fileshare is misleading.

More
27 Dec 2011 19:13 #70587 by daveray
Replied by daveray on topic Re: 2820n USB performance *SLOW*
I'm having similar problems. I connected a 500Gb WD external hard drive which it recognises no problem.

I cannot log in though, despite creating private folders and triple checking the password. It will not allow me to access the private folder no matter what I try, it always says incorrect password?

Any offers of help from the support team?

More
29 Dec 2011 13:06 #70606 by drummerjohn
Replied by drummerjohn on topic Re: 2820n USB performance *SLOW*
It's not man enough to do the job of shifting large amounts of data.

If you want to do that then get a NAS.

Never rely on products that advertise features "thrown in" to do the job properly. That includes things like TVs & Bluray players as media streamers. Their primary design functions were not as NAS or streamers so don't expect anything of it.

More
06 May 2012 21:37 #72137 by bts73
Replied by bts73 on topic Re: 2820n USB performance *SLOW*
>>

drummerjohn wrote: It's not man enough to do the job of shifting large amounts of data.
>> If you want to do that then get a NAS.
>> Never rely on products that advertise features "thrown in" to do the job properly. That includes things like TVs
>> & Bluray players as media streamers. Their primary design functions were not as NAS or streamers so don't expect anything of it.

glad its not just my 2820 that when used as NAS, is slow and regularly corrupts filenames ( tested a JESSOPS brand 256mb drive and a BUFFALO 8gb drive both formatted to FAT32, 2820 fw 3.3.7.1 ).

i would strongly recommend against using the vigor as usb storage.

Moderators: Sami