Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 Configuration and Logging?

• matt_mcg
  • Topic Author
More
26 Aug 2011 21:34 #69152 by matt_mcg
Vigor 120 Configuration and Logging? was created by matt_mcg
Hi,

I'm trying to configure my Vigor 120. It's working but keeps dropping the connection. I'd like to log things properly but I can't find any option to enable syslogging or anything like that. In fact, the configuration screen that I see is not the same as the one in the manual.

There's no quick start wizard, no options for syslog, none of the advanced settings in the manual are there. It's like a completely different, and much less configurable device.

What I want to be able to do is get proper logs from it, but I've no idea how to go about it.

Thanks,

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• matt_mcg
  • Topic Author
More
26 Aug 2011 21:40 #69153 by matt_mcg
Replied by matt_mcg on topic Re: Vigor 120 Configuration and Logging?
The modem details are as follows:

Model Name : Vigor120 v2
Firmware Version : 3.2.4.4
Build Date/Time : Jul 16 2010 17:31:09
ADSL Firmware Version : 321311_A Hardware: Annex A

Incidentally, the build date seems a long time in the past considering this is new.

More
30 Aug 2011 09:52 #69165 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Vigor 120 Configuration and Logging?
Hello, please try updating to the latest (currently 3.2.6) Firmware. If you're on an ADSL2 or 2+ connection I'd suggest the modem code Vigor120_V2_v3.2.6_AnnexA2_3471101.zip

Some years ago, with a Vigor 120 ( i.e. version 1 so I can't promise these will work the same on your v2 ) I needed to capture logs. The instructions I received from UK Tech Support were as follows:

Could you capture the following log files from the modem shortly after a disconnection?

(assuming the modem IP is 192.168.2.1, also please remove "quotes, press the enter key once each of these commands has been entered)

1. Go to the Start menu, select Run, type "cmd" and click OK
2. The path should be your user directory, if so, type "cd desktop" and press enter. This is so that the log file will be saved on the desktop.
3. Type "telnet -f adsllog.txt 192.168.2.1"
4. Enter the password for the router.
5. Enter "adsl status"
6. Enter "log -pt"
7. Enter "log -ct"
8. Enter "sys ver dbg"
9. Once that has finished, you can type "exit" to end the session.

Hope this helps. Regards, Neal

More
31 Aug 2011 13:07 #69173 by thrain
Replied by thrain on topic Re: Vigor 120 Configuration and Logging?
On your router make sure you leave the service name blank in the PPPoE setup page

I'm using 3.2.6, without any issues on an ADSL Max line connected to an Apple Timecapsule.

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor120%20V2/Firmware/V3.2.6/AnnexA/Vigor120_V2_v3.2.6_AnnexA_332201.zip

Anyone know if it's even possible to send syslog messages if the device is set to PPPoE / PPPoA bridge mode, i.e. converting ADSL to Ethernet to a device on my local lan via the Timecapsule ?

More
31 Aug 2011 14:12 #69174 by thrain
Replied by thrain on topic Re: Vigor 120 Configuration and Logging?
Hmmm I wonder if i connect direct to the 120 and change the LAN address from 192.168.1.1/24 to a static ip on my local lan outside my DHCP scope and then reconnect it to the Timecapsule.

• matt_mcg
  • Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2011 14:27 #69175 by matt_mcg
Replied by matt_mcg on topic Re: Vigor 120 Configuration and Logging?
re: the IP

That's what I did. Connected it directly to my PC and changed the IP to a static IP address outside the range allocated by DHCP on my router. So now I can telnet into the Vigor 120, and look at the status using RouterStats.

Thanks for the tips re: firmware versions. I wasn't sure if I should update as the UK sit only goes up to 3.2.4.4 rather than 3.2.6 and I wasn't sure which, if any, of the international firmware versions would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Matt

Moderators: Sami