DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 very slow ADSL performance

• jrankin
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jan 2012 13:32 #70664 by jrankin
2820 very slow ADSL performance was created by jrankin
I have been having some very strange performance issues. I have a max 8Mbps line with Plusnet. My performance for some time was a solid 6.5Mbps download speed and showing a status of 8128 on the connection speed. However, recently I have had problems where the speed drops to 500-600k maximum download speed (BT Speedtest, multiple tests) but the 2820 still says it is connected at 8128. I tried a number of reboots and upgraded to the new firmware - no change (and leaving time for the router/line to adapt). I had though it was the line and had more or less got to the stage of getting an engineer in. As a final check Itried two other routers. Both of these give me a completely stable 6.5Mbps connection. If I switch back to the 2820 then it drops to 500-600k again. Any ideas on how I can get the Draytek (which I would prefer to be using compared to the old + borrowed router I have tried) to work on the line at a better speed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2012 14:14 #70679 by jlord
Replied by jlord on topic Re: 2820 very slow ADSL performance
I'm also having the same problem - well kind of. We have a download speed of around 14mbps which remains constant for a few hours of use, then eventually download speeds drop to around 500mbps. When I restart the router it goes back to the faster speed for another few hours then we get the same problem again. Any thoughts?

Cheers

• jrankin
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2012 08:46 #70690 by jrankin
Replied by jrankin on topic Re: 2820 very slow ADSL performance
I have seen the router recover for a short period as well. Mostly, after a reset, it is still running a slow connection.

More
08 Jan 2012 15:54 #70700 by imcr
Replied by imcr on topic Re: 2820 very slow ADSL performance
Post some connection stats/firmware versions.

I'm on Plusnet and it took a fair bit of trial and error to get a stable connection.

• jrankin
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jan 2012 12:26 #70716 by jrankin
Replied by jrankin on topic Re: 2820 very slow ADSL performance
Firmware versions 3.3.5.2 and 3.3.7 both tried. Modem code 232201 and 211801 also tried. Same effect each time.

Router reports downstream connection of 8128, a very small number of Rx errors and low SNR. Actual througput using multiple speedtests around 600-800k.

Swap to another router (tried Belkin, Netgear, Billion) and the connection rock solid at 6.5Mbps every time. The Draytek just seems to settle into a slow connection, maybe some kind of line condition sensitivity which makes the modem (code) perform this way but others cope with it. Or, the modem hardware is now faulty. Either way a disappointment and not something I can live with. I'm likely to buy a new router, currently the line is running a Billion 7800N and it is fast and completely stable. I'll probably keep this as I won't take the risk on another Draytek.

More
12 Jan 2012 13:49 #70741 by linker3000
Replied by linker3000 on topic Re: 2820 very slow ADSL performance
My 2820n is on 3.3.5.2_232201 and I generally have a 4-5Mbit connection with a SNR margin of 14dB and a loop attenuation of 39dB due to distance from the exchange. The router is generally stable, but about once a month throughput will drop off (Web browsing grinds to a near-halt) and when I look at the router status the SNR margin is down to about 6dB, speed is around 6-7Mbit and the Rx CRC error count is going through the roof.

It seems like the router tries to push the line speed too much and doesn't back off when the error count skyrockets.

As soon as I notice the problem I reboot the router and this gets things back to realistic, stable, values.

Moderators: Sami