Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using a /28 range on 2850 or 2920

• theboy
  • Topic Author
More
28 Mar 2012 10:09 #71708 by theboy
Using a /28 range on 2850 or 2920 was created by theboy
Morning all.

FTTC is finally arriving here next week, so I need a new router to replace my trusty Siemens sb5830.

Zen provide me with a 16 IP block, which I use a combination of 1:1 NAT and Routed IP on the Siemens.

The guides for 2850 and 2920 seem to imply I can only do NAT, and even then (as it relies on setting up WAN IP Aliases) only utilise 8 of my RIPE IPs (or is it nine, as the guides imply "you can set up 8 Aliases in addition to the one you are currently using").

Does the CLI offer more options, I can find no info whatsoever on the CLI.

Lastly, can someone confirm these models will work with FTTC provided by Zen (using BT Wholesale infrastructure), as I notice a thread where people are having trouble using non-Infinity FTTC.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2012 17:35 #71738 by stepster
Replied by stepster on topic Re: Using a /28 range on 2850 or 2920
I'm using a 2850Vn with Zen fibre. All works fine connected directly to the VDSL. On the WAN >> General Setup page you need to set the 'VLAN Tag insertion (VDSL):' to 'Enable' and then the 'Tag value:' to 101 but other than that, all was very straight forward.

I've only got a block of 8IPs so can't help you with your 16IP question. However, the web interface does suggest that you can only have nine. I haven't explored the CLI interface yet.

All works very well. As others have noted, the upload speed seems a little throttled (hopefully that'll improve with some new firmware at some point?). Download seems excellent though.

• theboy
  • Topic Author
More
30 Mar 2012 21:39 #71740 by theboy
Replied by theboy on topic Re: Using a /28 range on 2850 or 2920
Thanks. I've gone for the 2920n, purely as thats what Zen sell, thus they should be clear on how to set it up. I notice on Zen's site, they don't mention the Insertion tag 101...

More
31 Mar 2012 23:37 #71749 by stepster
Replied by stepster on topic Re: Using a /28 range on 2850 or 2920
The 2920 relies on using the BT supplied VDSL adaptor, so that takes care of the 101 tag. The 2850 replaces the BT adaptor, which is why you need to supply a little more detail :)

• theboy
  • Topic Author
More
01 Apr 2012 08:54 #71750 by theboy
Replied by theboy on topic Re: Using a /28 range on 2850 or 2920

stepster wrote: The 2920 relies on using the BT supplied VDSL adaptor, so that takes care of the 101 tag. The 2850 replaces the BT adaptor, which is why you need to supply a little more detail :)

Ah, gotcha now, thanks for info.

I'm a bit new to FTTx, so not up to speed with the ins and outs of it, thus plumping for the router Zen recommend, just so I have the fallback of defaulting to a config they know works.

Am still tempted to get a 2850, probably Vn, in the future (keeping the 2920 as a spare), if I can find a config that allows a single router to control both of my DSL lines (one Zen, one BT Business). Looking at it, I think I can see how to do it. When I go to try it, I can always put my existing sb5830 ADSL routers into PPPoE bridge mode, and present it to the 2920's WAN ports. Or I may wait to see if Draytek release a model with 2 xDSL ports.

This is my first fling with Draytek, I'm hoping its a stable model, as occasionally, my Siemens ones lock up under heavy load.

More
02 Apr 2012 10:37 #71756 by adriandaz
Replied by adriandaz on topic Re: Using a /28 range on 2850 or 2920
I have a 2820 with a /29 however I have been able to use IPs in routed and alias mode without any problems, I suspect this will be the same for the /28.
You will just need to put the secondary IP address onto the LAN for IP routing usage, then you should be able to do both.

Moderators: Sami