DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830n Problem with 1x Windows Machine, Apple Macs Unaffected

• c37-nicky
  • Topic Author
More
04 Apr 2012 09:58 #71787 by c37-nicky
Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum so sorry if im in the wrong area.

We have just installed a new Draytek router to a Small Business but has resulted in a very strange problem. Once connected to the Network it will crash one specific local machine...

It's a Windows 7 64Bit SP1 using DHCP that crashes at login when connected via an Ethernet Cable to a new DrayTek 2830n fw: 3.3.6.1

This has never worked with the DrayTek as it is a new Router. Previously all was fine with a Belkin Router. Also connected are 8 Apple Mac's Running a mix of 10.5.x, 10.6.x and 10.4.x Server, these all work without issue.

I am able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and this does allow me to access the Internet but obviously this isn't a solution. Whilst in Safe Mode, I have tried turning off IPv6 on the PC and giving it a Static IP Address outside of the DHCP range. This allows the PC to login (in normal mode), but with no network access either LAN side or WAN. When looking at the Network and Sharing Centre, it says that it has an Unidentified Network. If I unplug the Ethernet cable from the machine, this can then log on fine to the normal user but again no network.

The DHCP pool count has also been increase and all, Gateways, Subnets and DNS settings are correct when applying a static route. Looking at the Switch, the Patch Lead has been tried in a different Port on the Switch and then tried straight from Patch Panel into the Draytek 2830 Router and still no answer.

Its something funky with the Router i'm sure and we have Installed these Draytek 2830's several times before without issue and on this current setup, there isn't a massive amount of customisations and config.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2012 10:49 #71788 by nealuk
I think I've seen mention on the forum before of a Win 7 pc doing this, and it was traced back to the antivirus program. Can you confirm the av please? Thanks, Neal

• c37-nicky
  • Topic Author
More
04 Apr 2012 11:24 #71789 by c37-nicky
Currently, im not onsite to where the machine is and didn't pay much attention to the AV, however I want to say its Avast or McAfee. Was this similar to the problem you have previously heard of?

More
04 Apr 2012 12:46 #71790 by nealuk
This is the one I was thinking of: http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15833

• c37-nicky
  • Topic Author
More
04 Apr 2012 13:18 #71794 by c37-nicky
Neal,

Thanks for posting that thread - an awful lot of it rings true. But for me to give any more info or to confirm if removal of AV software is the answer im going to have to visit the site.

I had another chat with the Dreytek support this morning - they have said to possibly try disabling the password on the user account so that the machine logs straight in. They are saying that its potentially something corrupt in the User Environment. Personally I dont think this is the answer but anything is worth a go. Whats your views on this?

Thanks

Nicky

More
04 Apr 2012 21:39 #71799 by nealuk
Hi Nicky, I don't have firsthand experienct on this perticular issue myself - in fact I refuse to support windows 7.. for now. I hope it's all in the AV. Fingers crossed your site visit goes well. Best regards, Neal

Moderators: Sami