DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820n Throughput crash

• burntfet
  • Topic Author
More
23 May 2012 09:35 #72314 by burntfet
Vigor 2820n Throughput crash was created by burntfet
Hi, I have two Vigor 2820n's (one is just a spare) but both exibit the same problem. Namely after 2 ~ 3 days of connection the download rate crashes to < 50 Kbps The upload speed is unaffected (~ 700 Kbps)
I have tried various firmware versions but the problem persists. Mt ISP is TalkTalk business and I am on an adsl 2+ connection. The sync rates are generally ~7m down and 0.7m up SNR is 9db and attenuation 41 db.
I use a speed tester "My connection pc lite" and you can see that after rebooting the router I have a very stable up & down data rate. However, after a couple of days the test shows the first 2 ~ 3 seconds of download are normal then the graph suddenly drops off the edge of a cliff and the throughput is almost zero. I have phoned the ISP and they have confirmed the line is good but can also see that the connection floods with errors with this sudden download restriction. I have changed the filter, the wiring has been totally replaced and the Vigor shares the line with only one phone through a new BT socket. The phone has also been removed for testing purposes.

However, rebooting the router clears the problem straight away but only for 2 ~ 3 days.

I have tried using other brands of router on the line and they work without problem!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2012 11:30 #72316 by frag
Replied by frag on topic Re: Vigor 2820n Throughput crash
update the firmware with this version:

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/v3.3.7.1/AnnexA/Vigor2820_V3.3.7.1A_211801.zip

It contains a different modem code which should better suit the line you are using.

• burntfet
  • Topic Author
More
23 May 2012 11:56 #72319 by burntfet
Replied by burntfet on topic Re: Vigor 2820n Throughput crash
Many thanks Frag.

The firmware is now in the router. Stats look normal except the attenuation has jumped up to 50

I will keep you posted on operation over the next few days.

Can you tell me a little more about this firmware and why it is more suitable for my adsl 2+ circuit?

Thanks.

More
23 May 2012 14:29 #72321 by frag
Replied by frag on topic Re: Vigor 2820n Throughput crash
As far as I am aware the modem code changes the tolerance levels for noise. This makes the line sync at SLIGHTLY slower speeds but should make it more robust.

Of course this might not solve the problem at all, but its worth a shot.

Coincidently there are more modem codes available from ftp.draytek.com, it might be worth trying each of these over a period of a few weeks to find the one best suited to your line.

• burntfet
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jun 2012 10:18 #72458 by burntfet
Replied by burntfet on topic Re: Vigor 2820n Throughput crash
Hi Frag, The firmware has helped somewhat but again today the router throughput has crashed. Surfing is painfully slow and the bandwidth is insufficient to hold a call on a voip phone.
I now plan to use a different brand of router on the line an see how this goes. At least if this resolves the problem I can be sure it is the Vigor. I'll post an update in a few days.

Regards, Tony

More
07 Jun 2012 10:48 #72475 by beymer
Replied by beymer on topic Re: Vigor 2820n Throughput crash
I will keep you posted on operation over the next few days.

Moderators: Sami