Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2920n constant DNS Lookup Failures

• austincb
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2012 22:28 #72687 by austincb
2920n constant DNS Lookup Failures was created by austincb
Hello,

I am running a Dual-WAN system provided by Bentley Walker. They provided a Vigor 2920n router for the job. Up until a few weeks ago, everything was running fine, however I am now having some serious issues with DNS... and I have no idea what caused it.

For some reason, upon a factory-reset or full reboot of the router, calling nslookup on a windows machine shows it utilizing "my.router" as the DNS source, and works fine. However, after an uncertain period of time (minutes to an hour), all traffic fails and nslookup then shows "UnKnown" and an IP of 192.168.0.1 (the local IP of one of the Bentley Walker HX50s) and the DNS lookup fails. Web surfing becomes impossible until I do an ipconfig /release & /nenew on the computers. Even then, it only buys me seconds to minutes of access before cutting out again.

I cannot for the life of my figure out why this is happening. I have forced a manual DNS setting on the LAN > General Setup page of Primary: 213.140.2.43 and Secondary: 213.140.2.49 (DNS servers provided by Bentley Walker), but it seems to get ignored after a while as proven by the fact that nslookup starts looking to 192.168.0.1 instead of 213.140.2.43.

Another odd fact is that android/iOS devices seem to be completely unharmed by this -- it only effects full laptop/desktop machines running windows. Flushing the DNS cache on the windows machines has no effect. I've factory reset everything multiple times and started over, to no avail.

I have already tried to get support from Bentley Walker but both HX50 modems work fine on their own without issue... which leads me to believe it is the configuration of the 2920n. I would greatly appreciate any assistance on configuring this. Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2012 00:18 #72688 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2920n constant DNS Lookup Failures
i have similar issue but don't know if is the same as i am not expert
have wan 1 with adsl & wan 2 with cable...going to give priority via load balance policy to wan 2 (any protocol) it will not load any web page and at this stage will not even work the wan 1 either (set both at autobalance)

reset router 3 times reinstalled firmware...the same
some times it works then if i reboot pc or router it will not work again

also when i run benchmark for get best dns servers, after has fineished i notice the router will not even display in the status page the IP address
i have emailed tech support but they only tell me how to do add manually the dns servers in the lan and general set up

i will try it some time later to add manually some dns servers but dont think will work for long as you saying from your case
SAME is happening with a 2580n model

is one more thread here some one getting time out or not load pages
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17370

The reason posting is because maybe they need to look into it...at least i know is not just me
will point this thread to tech support if will help
thanks

More
22 Jun 2012 08:01 #72689 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic Re: 2920n constant DNS Lookup Failures
I gave up using the DNS proxy on Draytek routers years ago, exactly the same symptoms as you describe, just use something else like OpenDNS.

• austincb
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jun 2012 09:31 #72692 by austincb
Replied by austincb on topic Re: 2920n constant DNS Lookup Failures

rothers wrote: I gave up using the DNS proxy on Draytek routers years ago, exactly the same symptoms as you describe, just use something else like OpenDNS.

It's weird that it was fine for 2 weeks and then suddenly broke, no?

So I'm not sure quite what you're saying -- Should I leave the "Force DNS" fields blank? Where would I input the OpenDNS addresses? Elsewhere in the Draytek, or in each computer individually? Thanks

More
22 Jun 2012 17:46 #72699 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2920n constant DNS Lookup Failures

austincb wrote:

rothers wrote: I gave up using the DNS proxy on Draytek routers years ago, exactly the same symptoms as you describe, just use something else like OpenDNS.

It's weird that it was fine for 2 weeks and then suddenly broke, no?

So I'm not sure quite what you're saying -- Should I leave the "Force DNS" fields blank? Where would I input the OpenDNS addresses? Elsewhere in the Draytek, or in each computer individually? Thanks

Hi
i think something must be with dhcp in router or pc or dns with router or renew ip addresses at pc
perhaps any combination like disable dhcp from router or modems can be try etc
also find some good dns servers and give a try with router to force dns at lan section
Here what draytek support they have inform me setting it up and so far works but dont know for how long...(i just have not renew ip address at pc at the moment
you can ingore the priority s settings if you dont want to have a specific connection always first

By default router picks ISP1 DNS servers. As router is a DNS
forwarder, it sends all DNS queries to ISP1 DNS servers.

Now in you setup, when you enable first load balance policy to send all
via WAN2 then DNS queries to ISP1 DNS servers via WAN2 (different ISP)
are likely to be rejected by ISP1.

So we need to set router with both ISP DNS servers details.

Go to LAN - General Setup page. Here enable "Force DNS manual
settings" option and set Primary DNS as ISP1 DNS server and secondary
as ISP2 DNS server.

Also release and renew IP address on local PCs if router is the DHCP
server.

Now go to WAN - Load Balance policy menu. Here click on index 1 and
setup policy for all traffic destined to ISP1 DNS server to use WAN1.
Setup similar policy for ISP2 DNS server to use WAN2.

However if you want to use WAN2 as your primary connection and WAN1
as secondary, then it would be better if you set WAN1 in backup mode.

Hope this help some one

More
22 Jun 2012 19:16 #72701 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic Re: 2920n constant DNS Lookup Failures
Put them in Lan General Setup

Moderators: Sami