DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2850vn wierd issue.

• ikilby
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jul 2012 22:15 #73014 by ikilby
Vigor 2850vn wierd issue. was created by ikilby
My 2850vn running 3.6.2 firmware works great for my ADSL2+ Annex-m connection.

However once in a while several of the PC's on my network cannot access the internet, and this has happened twice in the last two weeks.

The PC's on the network are assigned IP address's and DNS address's from a separate DHCP server, and i can check the PC's have the correct IP's and DNS entries.

Trying NSLOOKUP from any PC will fail as it cannot find a DNS server. Trying a traceroute will be extremly slow and will show really wierd IP address's in the 10.x.x.x range and will go no where i.e 16 hops and more.

The only way to fix this is to reboot the router, then everything will start working again fine and the NSLOOKUP and TRACEROUTEs all work correctly.

The WAN side of the router is assigned a static IP, and the issue is the same on a wired connection or a wireless connection.

I have replaced the Draytek with a Thompson router and this issue does not happen.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ikilby
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jul 2012 09:08 #73057 by ikilby
Replied by ikilby on topic Re: Vigor 2850vn wierd issue.
do the Draytek support staff lurk on here as no one has responded to my issue?

I spent a lot of money on this router and it is less reliable at the moment than a cheap Netgear router.

I thought that the level of support might match the cost

not so far !

More
27 Jul 2012 10:00 #73059 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Re: Vigor 2850vn wierd issue.
What is the 'external DHCP server' you refer to? Is it an SBS, or Windows server? What DNS server does the DHCP server hand out? How have you configured the DNS forwarders?

How have you set the 2850's DHCP server for LAN1 (and any other LAN subnet)? Are you using VLANs on the 2850?

More
26 Oct 2012 12:22 #73934 by rickblackdog
Replied by rickblackdog on topic Re: Vigor 2850vn wierd issue.
I have an identical setup and problem. Have an apple server for DNS and DHCP, which is def not at fault.

More
30 Oct 2012 17:14 #73966 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor 2850vn wierd issue.

ikilby wrote: do the Draytek support staff lurk on here as no one has responded to my issue?

Yes, they do but they do not provide support here; it's a user forum. Contact official
support and they will answer (see rules for details).

Forum Administrator

More
27 Apr 2013 22:13 #75956 by sdw303
Replied by sdw303 on topic Re: Vigor 2850vn wierd issue.
I'm about to drop in a 2850Vn too, to replace BT Infinity white box and act as router/firewall for an Apple Airport Extreme based network - which is my DHCP host, and DNS relay - so I'm curious as to whether either of you chaps had a solution for your problems ?

Moderators: Sami