Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3900 Instability

• alexharrington
  • Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2012 12:41 #74422 by alexharrington
3900 Instability was created by alexharrington
Hey there

We've recently upgraded from a pair of 3300v to 3900 Vigor routers in a failover pair.

They came with 1.0.5 installed and seemed very unstable (lots of reboots etc) and so I upgraded them to 1.0.6. Subsequently we found a hardware fault with the master unit and it has been RMA'd to Draytek for replacement.

However, we've just had 2x BT Infinity lines installed, each at about 37Mbps down to load balance in with our 40Mbps fibre leased line. The infinity lines replace 2x ADSL lines which were working fine with the 3300v routers.

The infinity lines connect fine, however I'm seeing loads of random issues.

When I try and set up a load balance across the three lines, the internet slows to a crawl. Page load times go up massively and some websites stop working all together. Falling back to any single line restores the speed to normal.

We're also seeing random drop outs. Today for example the internet connection just stopped working. I could see the Draytek router up fine, ping it etc and from the webui I could ping from the individual WAN interfaces to the internet, but the same ping from it's LAN interface would fail (100% dropped).

Rebooted the router and same issue. Rebooted again and it came up and has been working fine since.

I also can't reliably get inbound port redirection working from either PPPoE WAN interface. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. I can always ping the WAN interface of the router from outside so it isn't the connection dropping. Again a reboot of the router will sometimes persuade it to start working again, sometimes it won't.

I'm running 700 odd workstations behind these and the 3300v routers have been really really reliable - they're just too slow to keep up any more. I'm at the point of ripping these 3900 routers and out building pfSense boxes as this can't continue any longer.

Anyone else having similar issues? Is the 1.0.5 firmware any better? I'm loathed to downgrade as I was hoping to use the hardware DMZ function in 1.0.6 but I can live without that for stability!

Thanks

Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2012 09:25 #74432 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 3900 Instability
This doesn't sound typical so I'd speak to support urgently about this.

Forum Administrator

• alexharrington
  • Topic Author
More
04 Dec 2012 09:41 #74433 by alexharrington
Replied by alexharrington on topic Re: 3900 Instability
Hi admin

That's great in theory, but I'm still waiting on replies to queries I sent in nearly a month ago on these units. It's just not good enough for an "enterprise" unit.

Alex

More
05 Dec 2012 21:36 #74448 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 3900 Instability
Did you send the query to UK support? They reply to ALL emails/tickets; what do you mean 'waiting for a reply' ? i.e. did they reply but you're awaiting a follow up? I'd check with them in case a replace went missing/spam etc.

Forum Administrator

• alexharrington
  • Topic Author
More
06 Dec 2012 08:27 #74449 by alexharrington
Replied by alexharrington on topic Re: 3900 Instability
Yes to UK support. I've asked four or five questions in the past few weeks. I always get a response - normally that they don't know the answer and have to take it to third line, and then it generally takes a couple of weeks and a couple of chases to get the answer.

I logged this up and so far have been given a beta firmware that hasn't fixed the issue.

More
10 Dec 2012 08:57 #74483 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: 3900 Instability
Did you get your 3900's working yet

I have a 3900 with firmware 1.0.6 with 3 x Vigor120's , i used to have a load balance issue when balancing all 3 lines but was mainly on firmware 1.0.5 it seems to be better on 1.0.6

Moderators: Sami