DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SNR and Loop Attenutation

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jan 2013 22:33 #74719 by wilsodg
SNR and Loop Attenutation was created by wilsodg
3 weeks ago we installed a 2830 to replace a 2910. We are on ADSL limited to 8mb for the area, and with 2 lines used to get 6.5mb on one (BT Business) and ~3 on the other ( BTresidential). Now the BT IP profile has been reset at 2mb so we are getting lousy downloads. I figure it needs to re-train, but thought to look at SNR and Loop Attenuation.
Line 1 SNR=8, Loop attenuation=3, no crc errors.
Line 2 SNR= 12, Loop attenuation = 0.

We are 200yards from exchange. Looking at guide, both these numbers look low. We have the newer NTE5 face plates in the house.

Not sure if the IP profile was reset because we re-booted the router a lot after installing, but it's been on this for a couple of weeks, so wondering if I need to ask for a profile reset, and with the above figures whether it is likely to re-synch higher than 2mb?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2013 22:52 #74720 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: SNR and Loop Attenutation
There is a case many reboots have lower the adsl profile and there is a case to take very long time to come back up by it self

I am with loop attenuator 29 and have reboot many times due to dns change,test firmwares etc and not had any problem lower speed

If i was you, will ring BT to see what is going on because loop attenuator with 0 & 3 should get almost all speed the isp provide you (of course snr matters)
but even rebooted many times i personal find it very strange
Unless is a fault in your area

What synchronisation (down speed) getting at online status

EDIT
Posting cases like that here is the best place
http://forums........
Are some much more experts than me & should have fast respond before you ring BT

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jan 2013 23:04 #74721 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Re: SNR and Loop Attenutation
Thanks for the prompt reply. I forgot to say that the lines are both synching at 8128k down, and 448k up - so the lines look good.

More
08 Jan 2013 23:10 #74722 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: SNR and Loop Attenutation
i have edit my post up with a link so may not be helpfull now because you getting the full speeds really ... so seems no wrong with line
It seems something in the 2830 block speeds
Check (for test) at qos or dos
Firewall >> DoS defense Setup to disable
Bandwidth Management >> Quality of Service to be inactive

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jan 2013 23:19 #74723 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Re: SNR and Loop Attenutation
My concern is that when i do a line test, BT has set the IP Profile at 2mb, so even though the line is capable of 8mb, it is not allowed to run any faster (or that seems to be what people say). I've checked QoS and these are set at auto. Everything was fine with the 2830 till about 10 days ago.

More
08 Jan 2013 23:27 #74725 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: SNR and Loop Attenutation
That would imply that you had a temporary line fault and the IP profile has got stuck, give BT a call and they should be able to improve the IP profile speed?

Moderators: Sami