DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Poor speed using 2820n on Infinity 80/20

• wintersf
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2013 23:07 #75010 by wintersf
Hi,

I have 2 2820n routers and both give poor downloads speed of approx 4Mbps rather than the 80Mbps the line is connected at? I have tried playing about with QoS etc turning it on and off. Have also tried running with WAN1 enabled and disabled and load balance set to auto to WAN2 etc. etc.
Also found the following command - ip route default wan2 on BT forums as a suggestion but still no luck.
These speeds were obtained by both speed testers and downloading a large file.

On the plusnet supplied router (Which isnt the best compared to the Drayteks) I can get 40-50Mbps even over WiFi.

The drayteks have the following Firmware installed and I used the .rst versions to reset to factory - v2820_v3373_232201_A

Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause this?

Thanks
Fraser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 00:22 #75012 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Poor speed using 2820n on Infinity 80/20
I see you have latest firmware
It is Important to read the released notes because if you have upgrated from older version the 2820n may have problem
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17954
If you have updated with correct order then this thread may help you
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17954

• wintersf
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2013 08:40 #75015 by wintersf
Replied by wintersf on topic Re: Poor speed using 2820n on Infinity 80/20
Thanks, tried looking at the threads but dint notice any settings that I have not tried changing :(.

One of the routers was already on a fairly new version before I upgraded to the new one. The other one wasn't but I went through the reset version which I would hope overcomes this issue?
Will keep looking to see if I can find any alternative tips.

Fraser

More
30 Jan 2013 13:54 #75026 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Poor speed using 2820n on Infinity 80/20
at the second router if upgraded from older version than the one draytek suggested maybe is good to download the upgrade firmware tool and use rst file going back to the suggested firmware and upgrade again to latest
Have you checked at Plusnet forums about speed issue? usually are good there
Also can you check if any QoS & DoS are disable?
At wan 2 have you tried static and dynamic ip tab to see if is better there?add pass & user name, set MTU 1500, obtain ip automatic
If yes ... try PPPOE and fill both passwords, MTU 1492, click dynamic ip,try protocol pppoa & pppoe if will make difference
It should work one or the other

• wintersf
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2013 16:00 #75029 by wintersf
Replied by wintersf on topic Re: Poor speed using 2820n on Infinity 80/20
Thanks for the suggestions. When I have a minute I will put the Draytek back on and see how things go.

The actual line is fine as I can get much faster speeds on the Plusnet supplied router.

More
30 Jan 2013 20:30 #75035 by voodle
From what you've described, I think it's the BT Fininity modem is being finnicky - try setting the WAN2 port to 100MB full duplex instead of auto negotiate because it sounds like it's maybe negotiated down to 10mbps.
Alternatively, try a basic switch inbetween the two to see if that helps!

I've seen 75mbps from the 2820 on a good day, going downhill, with QoS disabled :)

Moderators: Sami