DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Segregate LAN users access via CSM profile - not possible?

• brumster
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2013 09:24 #75016 by brumster
Hi all,

Long-standing 2600/2800VG user here, now looking to upgrade my 2800VG to something a bit more up-to-date but I have one critical requirement that I won't be upgrading without...

One thing that has annoyed me with the 2800 is the inability to segregate the url and web content filter aspects based on user/mac/vlan/IP, rather than just setting it on a schedule. I, like many others I suspect, would like to set up a 'group' into which the kids can go, which can hard limit their access to certain urls and classified content, and within a certain time period - but leave another group (adults and backend servers) free to access all they wish at all times. On the 2800 this is not possible.

Reading the manual and forum with regards to the newer 27xx/2830's they have the concept of CSM profiles, and various objects that can be set up - including IP objects. This sounds good - I can fix via MAC the IP, put the kids into that group, then... hmmm... the screenshots in the manual for the 2710 don't show the WCM feature being able to be assigned to CSM objects. Only the URL blocking. This seems to imply that the web content filter profile is applied lock-stock to ALL clients connected to the router. DrayTek even seem to have removed the schedule option that at least the 2800 had. The 2830 manual shows this option available (group/object selections) but paying the premium of the 2830 over the 2710 for *just* this feature seems a little extreme :(

Can someone verify this for me? Maybe the manual is out of date and newer firmwares have added the option?

Worst case it looks like I will be able to achieve what I want based on URL filtering only, which is a bit of a step forward but I wanted to use the trusted WCF feature that I've been impressed with on the 2800, albeit without the ability to segregate users.

Also, critically, is WCF now a pay service? My 2800 works fine with it and I don't remember paying?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 11:24 #75017 by sicon
Hi
You can create groups/objects now and then associate them to your WCF profile

take from one of our 2930VNs

• brumster
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2013 11:34 #75018 by brumster
Thanks for that - can you confirm if this option has appeared in any other models than the 2930 (in particular either the 2710 or 2830)? The 2930 is several leaps above what I was looking to pay :-)

More
30 Jan 2013 12:09 #75019 by sicon
just logged on to one and yes it does (2830 that is) 8)

• brumster
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2013 12:56 #75024 by brumster
You're a star, sir - thankyou very much ;)

More
30 Jan 2013 20:37 #75036 by voodle
I am quite certain that the 2710 has the exact same firewall facilities as the 2830. I just checked on one here and it definitely has IP objects and has the WCF as an option in the filter rules. Maybe the screenshots you've got of a 2710 are from really old firmware?

I asked about the CSM cost thing too - apparently it was never free, but the service provider for WCF (surfcontrol) got bought out by websense and the payment mechanism went away with that.
Then because surfcontrol is at some point being discontinued, draytek used commtouch instead which is a not free service :)

Moderators: Sami