DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help needed adding second internet connection!

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
06 Apr 2013 07:54 #75779 by robster
Hi All

I am hoping some kind soul can help me please?

I have a Vigor 2830n currently connected only to BT adsl via built in adel modem (so WAN1).

I am hoping to add a second internet connection from Zen with a faster upload speed and am planning on connecting this to the Ethernet port (WAN2).

I would prefer to make minimum changes to my set up/config but want to route ALL my traffic now through WAN2 with the exception of 1 possibly 2 internal IP address's which I want to go through WAN1.

I am assuming I do this through the WAN Load Balance Policy page?

1. I am assuming I change Index 1 from WAN1 to WAN2 and now all traffic would be routed through WAN2, is this correct?

2. I then want to route all inbound and outbound traffic for internal IP address's ending xxx.xxx.xxx.19 and xxx.xxx.xxx.20 to WAN1.

I am assuming I do this by enabling Index 2 adding Src start IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.19 and ending address xxx.xxx.xxx.20.

Do I also need to put these two address's in Dest start and end address?

Do I need to put anything in port Start/End?

3. If I only want to route one IP address through WAN1 do I put xxx.xxx.xxx..19 as both start and end address?

4. Would it be easier to do what I want if the two devices in question where connected to the Ethernet Ports on the Vigor and then route their internet traffic that way, HOWVER, both machines must still be in the same DHCP/network as the rest of my machines as one is a server!

5. Have I missed anything silly and/or obvious? :D

Really appreciate the help people!!!!!

Regards

Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
07 Apr 2013 21:05 #75782 by robster
Can anyone tell me if I am even on the right track here please?

I am hoping to order my second broadband connection tomorrow!

More
08 Apr 2013 16:24 #75789 by babis3g
I never set policies with IP addresses or rules on mine with 2 connections but you are about correct
I just have wan 2 first in the index and ticked (for VM connection) and always going there the traffic 24/7
If you untick the wan 2 it will load balancve by it self sharing the internet
If you untick wan 2 and just tick wan 1 it will give priority to wan 1

Setting rules you may need practice for you self
Untill some one more heavy load balance users reply you, here some posts if they will help you
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=117:dual-wan&Itemid=293&lang=en

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17956 (note Mr Voodle's posts)

Load Balance from Draytek for you case
â–º http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1900:faq-article-1900&lang=en â—„

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2013 16:40 #75790 by robster
Huge THANKS.

Its nice to know I am at least on the right track! :D

From your experience, having everything on using WAN1 and WAN2 from DHCP on LAN1 I should be okay?

All I really want is my iTunes/Movie server and Vodafone Sure Signal connected to BT for their internet connectivity and everything else to Zen (WAN2).

But it is critical all my devices can see my iTunes server!

Robin

More
08 Apr 2013 17:10 #75791 by babis3g
Sorry personal i have not set any specific rules with load balance (TT & VM)
i just using mainly the TT which is unlimited (VM is not) for movies downloads etc ... and when i need to upload (example youtube) i just untick at load balance wan 1 and ticking the wan 2 which is my VM 100 and also wan 2 can go up to 90mb with my 2850n

With this way all traffic going to the chosen wan and also is still good for me because if any internet connection fail (tested) ... the other will take place with in 10-15 seconds
Hope these informations helps you

I am using many betas or new firmwares which needs the *rst* file or master reset each firmware update ... which means all settings will need to do back manually for the begin ... so this way is easy after many master resets and suits my personal needs

I know haven't answered your question or be more spesific for itunes but i am sure some one else should help soon... but maybe this is the right answer for you at the moment

Load Balance from Draytek for you case
â–º http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1900:faq-article-1900&lang=en â—„

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
13 Apr 2013 19:30 #75847 by robster
Hmmmm

Real bugger but my load balancing is simpoly not woking. :|

I have traffic for 192.168.2.19 to 21 set to send traffic via WAN1

And everything else via WAN2

Everything seems to be going via WAN2

Well almost everything a few ports with NOTHING to do with the IP address's I mentioned above AR`e going via WAN1!!!!

A real disappointment this at present.

Robin

Moderators: Sami