Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Virgin Media Hub Connection Advice

• bluebiro
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jul 2014 10:09 #80584 by bluebiro
Virgin Media Hub Connection Advice was created by bluebiro
Hi

I have used my Draytech 2820n for the past 3 years on BT ADSL without issue, I now have moved and have Virgin Media service. The supplied Virgin Super Hub 2 (a re badged Netgear device, VMDG485) provides the cable connection, and includes 2G and 5G wireless.

The Super Hub 2 is downstairs, my office is upstairs. Ideally I don't want to run a cat 5 cable between the Super HUb and the Draytek. Can I connect the Draytek to the SuperHub2 wirelessly? Or do I need some other device? I ideally want to use the Superhub to purely provide connectivity to the cable broadband, and want to use the Draytek for all the Wifi settings etc, as I have all the rules/filters/port settings working on the 2820. If it is not possible is there another Draytek device that would be more suitable?

B.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2014 11:15 #80585 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: Virgin Media Hub Connection Advice
No the VM deivce wont do WDS - tried this myself to extend a network via wifi
I want to test those power line kits but as it just for home I haven't got round to it

More
07 Jul 2014 11:42 #80586 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Virgin Media Hub Connection Advice
It is possible to use the 2820 as pure router the same as the adsl modem but I think to use the 2820 or any other modem as pure router you need to connect it via cable (lan 1 or 4 of the SH2 to incoming wan2 of the 2820)

Also to work the 2820 as extender wifi, i think you still need to run cable same way (cable connected) but then if you run cable, you better set it as pure router you had with BT adsl

The 2820 has an option called WDS but i never tried if you can match the wifi settings of the SH2 to the 2820 to work with out cable ... Wireless LAN >> WDS Settings

There is an other option to get an Access Point AP 800 or AP 900 and used it upstairs as wifi extender but will only be able to control the wifi part, all the rest (firewall, ip, etc) will be done from the SH2
Note if you don't use cable (cat5e) you can do it wireless but the speed can be lower if the signal of the SH2 is not full

You can also use powerlines for wifi only but never involved for more info so hope an other user can help

If i was you i would ask the VM to extend their cable upstairs so you can bring the modem up close to the 2820 ... or
If you still don't want t run cable even from VM upstairs to get down the 2830 near by the SH2 and just use an AP mentioned for extending upstairs the wifi range (both AP can use 2.4 & 5G bands

ABOUT speed
if you have VM packet over 120mbps the 2820 firewall is limited to 50mbps so even if you use it as pure router (to run cable upstairs) don't expect to go more than 70-80 mbps
If your packege is 60mbps then it should be fine for the 2820

If you need better speed throughput can look for the 2860 (modem & router) with 200mbps or a the 2130 perfect as router only with 800mbps

More
11 Jul 2014 16:15 #80644 by tobythetenor
Replied by tobythetenor on topic Re: Virgin Media Hub Connection Advice
Yes, powerline is the way to go if you don't want to run CAT5.
In the absence of a Draytek product, check TP-Link TL-PA6010KIT - pretty reliable.
Else you could put your router downstairs and use WDS via an access point like the AP-900; arguably a less good solution.

The superhub lets you run in 'modem only' mode, this is better as it offloads the routing to the Draytek (so you don't have to fuff about with Virgin DNS outages and the like)

More
25 Jul 2014 19:57 #80799 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: Virgin Media Hub Connection Advice
One question what speed are you on virgin with???

More
05 Aug 2014 09:45 #80863 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: Virgin Media Hub Connection Advice

The PIT wrote: One question what speed are you on virgin with???

150Mb

Moderators: Sami