DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Can't connect to the internet with 2925n-plus via Home Hub5

• gordonh
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jul 2014 22:15 #80717 by gordonh
Very much the novice with the networking side of things but as I have poor internet connectivity and need a degree of failover I was told the answer is loading balancing across 2 internet connections. I now have the Vigor 2925n-plus but don't seem to be able to connect to the internet. I understand that I need a modem so currently have the 2925 plugged into a LAN socket of the BT Home Hub 5 and had disabled Wifi and DHCP Server on the Home Hub but can't connect via the 2925 router. If any one can provide any simple pointers I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2014 23:09 #80718 by babis3g
I don't have the homehub but here a basic rule

if you want the homehub to act as simple modem only ( & the rest such wifi, dhcp, load balance, firewall etc to do the 2925) then you need to set it at bridge mode ... as i am not owner of of a homehub must have this setting somewhere its wan's menus settings of the HB
Setting it to bridge mode will disable automatic by its self all other settings does not need

so connect first the HB to a pc & set it to brodge mode ... then connect to the pc the 2925 & set it via PPPoE...
then cable form the lan 1 or lan 4 of the HB to the incoming wan of the 2925 ...now at 2925 wan 1-4 (depending which one you have connect it) you need go at wan > general set up & enable YES, then at wan > internet access > details page to set with PPPoE tab (top left grey tab) & then set your username & password from your isp & also the correct MTU, then give a reboot at both devices ... as long you have the correct username/pass should work

• gordonh
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2014 00:02 #80719 by gordonh
Many thanks for the response. Not sure that the Home Hub 5 has a bridge mode, I have just checked and can't see anything and spotted in one forum that someone said it does not have a bridge mode.

More
21 Jul 2014 09:00 #80721 by babis3g
until a HB user will appear, at Settings -> Broadband -> Link Configuration, the ATM Encapsulation drop down menu, select Bridged LLC, unheck ATM PVC Search so that it is disabled

is not working like that?

If is not working i can give you an other way of connecting both but you may have problem with port forward

• gordonh
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2014 09:25 #80722 by gordonh
No such option on the HH5. Can you outline the other option?.

Thanks again

Gordon

More
21 Jul 2014 10:16 #80723 by babis3g
can not direct you to the menus of the HB but you need to change the ip of the HB to (lets say το) 192.168.0.1 so will not conflict with the 2925 (192.168.1.1)
Disable, dhcp,port forward, wifi (if you don't use it),usb etc BUT at this stage don't disable NAT and note the subnet mask of the HB, it should be 255.255.255.0/255

At pc at network & sharing centre the ip (ipv4) should be at obtain ip automatic

Now at the 2925 you going at the wan port you want to connect the HB Lets say wan 1 (wan > internet access) and set it via static or dynamic ip
at the tab "Specify an IP address" write down (lets say) 192.168.0.100 & then the subnet mask of the HB & as gateway 192.168.0.1
save & reboot both devices
If not works then change the subnet mask to 255 ... 0 or 255... 255 or leave it blank (so try combinations)

This is the way i have used mine by just making manually the first modem as more possible simple to bridge mode

Note 1
If you manage work it then try disable NAT at HB, if you loose connection (once was working before turn it off) then turn it on again)
If you have connection with NAT off at the HB then port forward will work fine in the future if you need it

Note 2
if you not disable the wifi at the HB not need to disable the the dhcp but then it will came more complicated as you will need to share the dchp ranges at both devices, example 192.168.0.1 - 100 at HB (the pc laptops mobiles will use this range for wifi with the home hub) & 192.168.1.101 - 200 to the 2925 if you want to use the decices with the 2925 wifi ... but then at wan general set up you may need to change the static ip over 192.168.0.201

Note 3
This way will have problem with port forward because of DOUBLE NAT if you want to use in the future so alternatives ways are DMZ or UPNP
Some other users can set the 2 modems via port forward between them (which & normal port forward works fine because there is not Double NAT) but i never tried so can not help with that lets say 3rd option, sorry

Moderators: Sami