DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 with vigorous 120 load balance speed.

• kirklandltd
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2014 23:12 #80886 by kirklandltd
2820 with vigorous 120 load balance speed. was created by kirklandltd
Hi we have just installed a Draytek 2820 router with modem ADSL on wan 1 & a Vigor 120 modem connected to a second broadband connection for load balancing but I am not getting much of an improvement over a single connection.
Are there any tweaks to improve throughput?

Both WANs show as online and have a tick in "Balance"

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2014 11:50 #80891 by babis3g
what do you mean by not improvement of a single connection? speed issue?
for load balancing both lines try not tick the load balance boxes, it should do automatic with most priority to wan 1 (assuming you have set them both correct)

• kirklandltd
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2014 12:37 #80892 by kirklandltd
Replied by kirklandltd on topic Re: 2820 with vigorous 120 load balance speed.

babis3g wrote: what do you mean by not improvement of a single connection? speed issue?]

Quite simply, it makes no appreciable speed difference if I use only one broadband connection or combine 2.

babis3g wrote: for load balancing both lines try not tick the load balance boxes, it should do automatic with most priority to wan 1 (assuming you have set them both correct)

Surely the Load Balance box is there to choose whether to load balance or not?

babis3g wrote: (assuming you have set them both correct)

Specifically?

More
08 Aug 2014 13:24 #80893 by sicon
You wont get faster speeds when download ing it just means you have more bandwidth available.

For example: if both lines are 10Mb you wont get a 20MB speed when you do a speedtest.
It means the next connection should go out of wan2 and still get 10Mb and not have to share it with the session connected on wan1

IMO the 2820 is obsolete now anyway with slow interfaces, poor pass through and no multi subnet functionality you would get better results with a 2830 or even better a 2860.

More
08 Aug 2014 13:36 #80894 by babis3g
When i had load balance some time ago ( not 2 lines any longer to test) when had unticked the load balance wan boxes it will automatic load balance both lines for browsing, uploading, downloading etc but the wan 1 had the most use

When i was ticking a wan (load balance menu) then it will direct all traffic to this specific wan (unless i had set a policy)

If you want to have a specific wan as first option (example if has faster speed) you can move up that wan (see screenshot)
Via this method wan 2 (was the faster connection - 100mbps via Virgin Media) was always in use as primary (i had also ticked protocol any) for any traffic upload,download, surfing etc)

If you want to set load balance via the speed line and then the draytek do the job automatic have a look this article
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1811&Itemid=293&lang=en
I never tried load balance according to line to see if works good or has bugs, however by moving up/down from the right the wan should work same way as mentioned up

Is this what you looking for?

More info about load balance here
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1810&Itemid=293&lang=en

EDIT

It will not do line bonding to double your speed (that you need to talk with your isp) ... only the methods i mentioned can set the faster line to use it as primary & permanently until you untick manually that wan

• kirklandltd
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2014 13:49 #80895 by kirklandltd
Replied by kirklandltd on topic Re: 2820 with vigorous 120 load balance speed.

sicon wrote: You wont get faster speeds when download ing it just means you have more bandwidth available.

For example: if both lines are 10Mb you wont get a 20MB speed when you do a speedtest.
It means the next connection should go out of wan2 and still get 10Mb and not have to share it with the session connected on wan1

IMO the 2820 is obsolete now anyway with slow interfaces, poor pass through and no multi subnet functionality you would get better results with a 2830 or even better a 2860.

Hi, sorry my mistake it is a 2860 :oops:

However although each ADSL speed is 6MB I still only get 6mb on a speed test although I can see that each WAN has traffic, so it is not just all going down the one connection.

Moderators: Sami