DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How do I get alert if one of my two WANs goes down?

More
18 Nov 2014 09:26 #81838 by lesd
I have a 2850 with two WANs connected with automatic fail-over.

I just discovered WAN2 is dead and probably has been like that for some time.

The automation of fail-over and automatic updating of my DNS is working fine but how can I get alerted so I can do something about it promptly?

I can see there are some remote services around (which I have not fully explored yet), but ideally I would like something running on the network, but it should either send an email (preferred) or pop-up a message on my PC (Windows).

It would be nice if the router itself would do it but I cannot see anything that may be suitable.

I would be grateful for any advice on this.

Many thanks.

Les

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2014 11:28 #81858 by sicon
We use the ACS for all our monitoring but you could try the smart monitor http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/accessories/smartmonitor

More
19 Nov 2014 15:12 #81859 by lesd
Thank you. Looks like some very useful stuff there but will it actually satisfy my main requirement - to be explicitly notified (preferably by email) if either of the lines goes down?

If it means having to look to find the current status, I can do that now by looking at the status page of the router itself.

I want something to hit me over the head if either line goes down.

Les

More
29 Nov 2014 23:22 #81982 by pentaczek
Sure you can do it, I'm not sure if on your router everything will be named exactly the same (I'm 2860n user) but I hope you will manage;)

1. Login to your Vigor and go to Objects Settings -> Sms/mail service object.
2. Configure email or sms service dependently on what kind of notification you prefer
3. Go to Objects Setting -> Notification Object
4. Select first available index and create profile for event you want (WAN disconnected)
5. Go to Applications -> Sms/mail service alert
6. Select tab with type of alert (sms or mail) and then first available index
7. Select Service , recipient , notify profile
8. Tick checkbox next to selected index to make sure that configuration is enabled

That's it, should work like a charm. I'm using this type configuration myself so I can confirm it works.
Hope this was helpful

More
30 Nov 2014 11:45 #81985 by lesd
Thank you very much! Very clear instructions.

The 2850 seems to match the 2860 for these features.

On the Mail Service Object I have two issues.

1. The maximum value for Sending Interval is 255. If it means that it will send an email/sms every 255 seconds (4.25 minutes) then that seems rather over the top.

2. It so happens that one of my two WANs is currently down but I am not receiving any emails. I am using my own mail server and nothing appears in the log.

I have used the same setting as in Mail Alert Setup and that work if I try the Test button.

Is an alert sent only once when the status of a line changes from up to down or repeatedly as per the Interval value? If only once then what does the Interval do?

(The good old manual is consistently as useless as ever - I'm looking at the 2860 manual).

Les

More
04 Dec 2014 13:47 #82019 by prepress
This suggests that the sending interval applies for more than one event during that interval. So you only get one email per event, and if there is a second event within Sending Interval of the first, you won't get a second email.

Moderators: Sami