DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Voicemail email setup on 2820 IPPBX

More
10 Jul 2012 20:42 #1 by ukengb
Voicemail email setup on 2820 IPPBX was created by ukengb
I must be missing something in trying to configure voicemail to email because it's simply not working. Nothing complicated here - I've set up the SMTP server parameters and the relevant email address in the extension, but no matter how many times I click the [Send a test e-mail] button, it doesn't. The email address is correct and the server parameters are correct as far as I understand what it requires, but it won't even send the test email.

There must be some other setting I'm missing 'cos this should be real easy stuff. How hard can it be for a device to send email through a LOCAL mail server, but according to its logs, the server isn't even being contacted. The Vigor doesn't seem to provide access to its own logs so I have no idea what's going on here.

Anyone got any clues about this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2012 21:22 #2 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Voicemail email setup on 2820 IPPBX
Have you se up Syslog to be sure nothing is being sent?

Does the local mail server have any IP restrictions on incoming mail connections? Can you use telnet from a PC on the network and send a mail to the Local server?

Regards, Neal

More
11 Jul 2012 08:45 #3 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Re: Voicemail email setup on 2820 IPPBX
The local mail server has been in operation for many years without any bother - all machines on the local network use it to send mail. If I watch its SMTP log I can see any mail being sent out or received, but when I try to send a test email from the Vigor, nothing is written to the log which makes me think the server is not being actually sent the mail.

I tried sending to my ISP's SMTP server and although I cannot see its log files, the mail was never received so I suspect that just the same as when set up to use the local server, the mail is not even being sent.

What I really need to see is the Vigor's log to see what it is doing. Is this not possible?

Is there anything else that needs to be set to enable mail? The Vigor is configured with the SMTP server information and the extension has the email address. What else might be required to enable sending of email?

More
11 Jul 2012 12:08 #4 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Re: Voicemail email setup on 2820 IPPBX
Now sorted. It was a DNS issue.

I also use a local DNS server and had specified that within the Vigor's LAN config, but it would appear that the router doesn't use this itself unless you check 'Force router to use addresss for DNS'. I discovered that the email worked if I used the SMTP server's IP address and then tried that checkbox, after which it worked even using the domain name of the SMTP server (which is not resolvable by any external DNS).

Sometimes the label of the various buttons and checkboxes etc in the Vigor's web interface are less than intuitive:-(

More
11 Jul 2012 13:11 #5 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Voicemail email setup on 2820 IPPBX
Pleased you got it working!

Moderators: ChrisSami