DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3.8.1.9 for BX2000 does not work for VOIP

• ncollingridge
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2020 11:17 #13 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: 3.8.1.9 for BX2000 does not work for VOIP
Just an update on this issue - I have been running a beta release (r87539_beta) since March which had addressed this issue and has been as stable as a formal release. I checked today with UK support whether a formal release was due which incorporated the fix but the answer was that none was planned.

I personally suspect that the BX2000 is now effectively EOL and there may not be any further firmware releases planned, so anyone using it will be stuck with 3.8.1.9, or if you were to have this issue you could ask Draytek support for the beta.

It would be nice to think that there might be an eventual replacement for the BX2000 but I suspect there won't. It is a shame as it is generally a good bit of kit with some relatively minor shortcomings (mainly in the area of the poorly-implemented auto attendant) because of lack of attention from the development team.

I think that the market for a product like this has likely proved to be quite small - the BX2000 is well suited to small businesses who want to employ VOIP, but any company that is employed to implement it for such a business (probably the norm) will almost certainly want to use a higher functionality (and higher cost) product which is dedicated to its role.

Given the vastly increased amount of working from home that we have seen, a product like the 2762Vac might have much more appeal as a replacement router for work-at-home staff, which could then be easily managed centrally using the powerful facilities Draytek provide for that. I am surprised that I haven't seen any PR effort from them to push this through the media to big businesses who are rolling out work-from-home facilities.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami