DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Mass Storage

• danclarkson
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2008 21:54 #1 by danclarkson
2820 Mass Storage was created by danclarkson
Having seen the promising start made in the 2910 firmware for mass storage support I would love to see Draytek take the bull by the horns and provide decent support for externa usb drives on the 2820.

So many people have external USB drives that would love the idea of being able to access them without having to leave a machine switched on sharing them out.

I already use the 2820s for all the VPN work I do for customers but could shift bucket loads more if they had the mass storage support.

With there already existing feature set this would be the icing on the cake and would make it almost impossible for people to say no to them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2008 09:22 #2 by j.baker
Replied by j.baker on topic 2820 Mass Storage
With the beta firmware that is about, you can access the USB flash drives via FTP. Its a start.

That said, I tried an 8GB unit and it was not found.

I also tried a E160G 3G USB device with 2GB of Micro SD, but could not see the flash.

Regards

John Baker

Vigor2820 series with firmware 3.3.5.2_RC2
ADSL

• danclarkson
  • Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2008 16:23 #3 by danclarkson
Replied by danclarkson on topic 2820 Mass Storage
Thanks I'll have to have a play with the beta firmware, however long term I think this will only be a proper success if users can plug and play mass storage devices like external hard drives and access them in the same way they would if it was shared from a PC. Having to access it via ftp is fine for 'techies' but to get properly into the main stream it would need to be low fuss and familiar.

Draytek routers already have some killer feaures but I sometimes think that they are still reagarded as for use in VoIP or VPN setups and nothing else. I know that they aren't the cheapest routers in the world (and with the feature set they have they never should be) however with the addition of a feature like the ability to properly manage mass storage they would be nearly perfect for any deployment in a small office setup , they would handle the voip, web filtering, VPN and share files.

Magic !!!

More
13 Oct 2008 16:32 #4 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic 2820 Mass Storage
You could achieve this with an ethernet disk plugged into one of the router ports I have just ordered one from Lacie.

Howard

More
01 Jan 2009 23:55 #5 by sinkorswim
Replied by sinkorswim on topic 2820 Mass Storage
But the draytek isn't a NAS box, and will never be as good as a good NAS box - eg the QNAP box. Just keep the draytek a top notch router and use the two products together.

More
24 Sep 2010 16:27 #6 by jorpson
Replied by jorpson on topic 2820 Mass Storage
I'm home user who has just bought a 2802Vn (previous 2600 and 2800VG owner) I was very excited about the USB storage for use as a backup area but my dreams are dashed now that I find it only supports FAT32.

4GB ain't going to go far for much in these multi GB days of MP3, AVI etc.

so please can it be made actually useful with USB HDD support. the 12MB speed advertised is fine given it'll be going over 100Mb network to get there (another long standing grip there.. Gb can't cost that much more eh?)

thanks

Moderators: ChrisSami