Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820vn load balancing

• davidsh
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2009 15:09 #1 by davidsh
2820vn load balancing was created by davidsh
Hi

I'm using two ADSL connections with my 2820. I have a primary connection (WAN1) which is set as an ADSL type connection connecting to my main ISP. The secondary connection (WAN2) is an Ethernet type connection via a Cat5 cable to another Draytek Router (2800). That router then connects via ADSL to a second ISP on a separate phone line. WAN2 is simply a backup connection, and I want most traffic to use WAN1. Load balancing is set to 'Auto Weight' and Active Mode is set to 'Always On' for both WAN connections. My firmware is Version: 211011_A

Two problems with this:

1. The load balancing seems to shunt more of the traffic along WAN2. Looking at the online status page, I have almost twice as many TX and RX packets going through WAN2 as I do via WAN1. Am I imagining that WAN2 is taking most of the traffic? And if it is, how can I stop this before all the usage allowance for WAN2 runs out?

2. If I set WAN2 to activate only if WAN1 fails i.e. not Always On, I cannot access the internet from any of the computers on th network, even though WAN1 is showing as live and active. Every browser freezes and stops loading any pages. It's almost as if the router is using WAN2 for some purpose, possibly DNS checks, which is odd given the DNS settings appear to be WAN1's ISP auto settings. (I did set the DNS settings for WAN2 at one point to the second Draytek router address, but have since deleted that.)

The ability to have two connections through one router is excellent, given how flaky my connections can be here. That said, it only really works if one is a true lightweight backup, as the costs of holding two full strength connections would be too high.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Rgds

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• davidsh
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2009 15:11 #2 by davidsh
Replied by davidsh on topic 2820vn load balancing
Sorry, that firmware should have read: 3.3.0

David

More
03 Jun 2009 16:25 #3 by techhead
Replied by techhead on topic 2820vn load balancing
I'd try setting the DNS servers to something that can be accessed from any ISP like 4.2.2.4 and 4.2.2.5 on the LAN, I've used load balancing using discrete values for each lines speed rather than auto-weighting and fine tuned the load balancing using the load balancing policy page
Using a wildcard blank entry to fix everything to WAN1 with "Auto failover to the other WAN" option selected and VPN WAN2 First selection.

With both WAN's up the VPN tunnels automatically go via the WAN2 SDSL circuit and any DNS requests using WAN2 ISP DNS servers are fixed to WAN2.

WAN1 ISP DNS server requests are fixed to WAN1
All other traffic goes via WAN1 with the Auto failover to other WAN active.
When its stable it works perfectly.

I would suggest you download the latest router tools package from draytek site and run the syslog server on one of your LAN PC's that is on the longest time and tell the 2820 to send syslog messages to that PC.
In the Call Log tab it will inform you which WAN a given request is going and why ie wether it was fixed load ballanced etc. With that knowledge in hand you can play with the load balance policy and ensure the DNS requests are going out the correct WAN interface etc.

Moderators: ChrisSami