DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using a 2600 as a Hub

More
17 May 2009 20:19 #1 by autoq
Using a 2600 as a Hub was created by autoq
Hi ,
Hopefully just a quick yes or no for this question... please bear in mind that (obviously) I am not a network guru, so please offer any constructive criticism as appropriate ... :roll:
I have run out of ports on my main 2600Vg router. In particular I need two or three in another room as I have Pc/XBOx ,etc in there. Presently I am moving the one cable in that room between each machine as and when I want to use it. But I have an older 2600 sitting not doing much and so have tried to set it up as a network switch based in that room. Having hunted around a bit on the net , I have done the following to the old 2600 router:-

-Deactivated the "DHCP server configuration"

-Set 1st IP address to 192.168.1.100 and kept the subnet mask the same

-"For IP Routing Usage" , set to Enable ???(sounded like the sort of thing I wanted to do ?)
- Set the 2nd IP address to 192.168.2.100 (not sure why .. just thought it sounded consistent with the 1st IP address) :wink:

I then stuck the cable which I was moving between machines into P1 of the 2600, restarted the router and plugged the PC into P2 of the 2600 and the XBOX into P3 of the 2600.
Bingo I can go online from the XBOX and the PC at the same time and can still find all the other PC's in the network.
When I check the DHCP Assignment table on my main router, I find it has an entry with the name "Vigor28" and its IP address ( presently 192.168.1.24 although I presume this may change when its is switched off/on again , etc).
So , my question is ....
is this all I need to do ? is this the most efficient way ? i.e. should the old2600 be given its own static IP address ?etc.
Any suggestions, etc appreciated - thx in advance !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2009 22:19 #2 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Using a 2600 as a Hub
Disable the IP for Routing. You do not need it. I would normally set the first IP address as 192.168.1.2 rather than 1.100 (assuming your other router is 19.168.1.1.), but it does not matter as long as it is out of the range used by your other router's DHCP server. You may also want to turn off the internet access on the 2600.

You have already given the old 2600 its own IP address - 192.168.1.100

I have no idea what could be at 192.168.1.24. but you could probably find it out with a bit of detective work. Ping it. Turn off one of your connected devices, ping it again and so on.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami