DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820vn + local lan dns issues (very odd indeed)

• danielgwalter
  • Topic Author
More
27 May 2009 23:55 #1 by danielgwalter
I have installed a brand new 2820vn with latest firmware as my primary home router.

my lan consists of 4x wireless devices (3 laptop pc's and 1 mac) and 2 wired devices (1 pc and 1 nas).

all devices are connected to the router without issue and can browse the internet perfectly. In fact to this point my setupup experience surpassed expectation.

however, I tried to ping from 1 device to another by host name and got a fail. (host not found), I then proceed to ping the same devices by IP and get a success. After the IP success devices are pingable by hostname for about 5 minutes then start to fail again (until I ping by IP once again).

this is incredible, I have never seen an issue like this before, so much so that I reset the router to factory settings and started again. no luck, the same issue manifested.

All devices are on DHCP although I have tried a number on static IP addresses and get the same results. addtionally it seems to make no difference whether the devices are windows XP, vista, 7 or Mac OSX the results are the same.

please someone save my sanity and give me an answer or something further I can do to resolve the issue that does not involve a lot of host files being manually maintained.

regards in advance,

Dan <-- sane .... just about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2009 13:13 #2 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 2820vn + local lan dns issues (very odd indeed)
What have you got the DNS servers set to in your DHCP setup? (LAN Settings)
You need to put the routers address in as the first server, and then either your ISP's primary DNS for the second or leave it blank.

Release and renew the IP's on the machines an it should be fine.

• danielgwalter
  • Topic Author
More
30 May 2009 11:09 #3 by danielgwalter
Replied by danielgwalter on topic 2820vn + local lan dns issues (very odd indeed)
Thanks,

I tried your suggestion and it made little difference, in desperation I upgraded to the beta firmware and the problem stopped with all devices connecting and holding thier connection without issue.

everything now works!

Moderators: ChrisSami