DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Horrendously slow 2820

• robathome
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jun 2009 15:15 #1 by robathome
Horrendously slow 2820 was created by robathome
Hi - I recently provided 3 x 2820 to a client in 3 locations. While 2 connect fine, the 3rd has the following scary stats:

ADSL Information ( SDSLADSL Firmware Version: 211801_A)
ATM Statistics TX Blocks RX Blocks Corrected Blocks Uncorrected Blocks
32834660 117009768 602 624
SDSLADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 128000 192000 12 83

I'm no expert but would a SNR of 12 and Att of 83 point to a physical line / filter problem?

just need some ammo to provide to their ISP...

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 20:54 #2 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Horrendously slow 2820
An attenuation of 83 is very high. I don't typically see attenuations above 65-ish

What speed line did the ISP suggest should be possible ? The synch is 192k

Do you happen to know if it's a long way away from the exchange? Generally a higher attenuation is an indication that it's further from the exchange. If you know that it isn't far then it does suggest something between you and the exchange is causing the signal to lose power.

Did you notice anything strange about the telephone line? Perhaps the phone point that router is connected to is an extension (that could possibily be a long away from the main socket). Notice any faxes or other comms equipment around? For example PDQ machines. Anything else on the line also needs a micro-filter somewhere along the line in front of it.

If you listen to the line itself can you hear any background crackle? That's often a good sign that something isn't right. If there is noise then it's important to connect the router to the test socket behind the main socket so that line issues on the premises are ruled out.

You could try the 3.3.1.2 as it's got a later modem code so is unlikely to harm things - although I'd personally be reluctant to upgrade it remotely for fear that it wouldn't re-synch.

A warning sign to it maybe not re-synching (and therefore making a remote upgrade a hassle) would be if the ADSL "Up Time" is a lot lower than the "System Uptime", suggesting that disconnections have occurred frequently.

• robathome
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jun 2009 09:03 #3 by robathome
Replied by robathome on topic Horrendously slow 2820
OK thanks for that advice.

The person involved has "messed around" with their cables - again - and this time they did something which fixed it - my guess is the fax was in the phone socket with the ADSL filter off a doubler, but they won't admit it!

I had already been round this troubleshooting with them once before - this time they did it properly.

And we discovered they only have a 512Kb connection now......

Moderators: ChrisSami