DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Syn speed Issue

More
05 Jun 2009 11:20 #1 by turls
Syn speed Issue was created by turls
Background.
I have used vigor routers for a long time with a trusty 2600 proving very reliable.
Recently I switched to O2 broadband and was duly supplied with the O2 II box ( thomson router). This box does not give me the features I need (such as VPN) and is geared more to the basic home user ( i run home office and servers).

I live quite away from the exchange (5.2 km) and even though I am on 8M connection I was only getting 3.4 download on the 2600. So I decided to try the O2 box using ADSL2+ and found I was getting speeds of 4900 :-).

As mentioned the O2 box does not give me the required reyures, so decided to upgrade to a new vigor 2820n. I have managed to set this up fine ( had already done this on the 2600), but the big problem is that the 2820 is only syncing at 2900:
SDSL StatusADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
ADSL2+(G.992.5) SHOWTIME 1085000 3926000 6 56

To check whether this was just a blip, I reconnected the o2 box and was back at 4900.

All the connections are the same, so it cannot be wires etc.

At this point,, I am not getting any advantages in upgrading and I can manage without VPN, so I do not see any benefits to the 2820.

Anyone help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2009 11:46 #2 by turls
Replied by turls on topic mmmmnn...
Have just read through other posts and I appears to be hitting known issues.....

This router may have some very good features ( most of which I do not use), but the whole point for me to upgrade was to get better speed, it is just not worth it.

Think a return is on the cards

More
05 Jun 2009 13:02 #3 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Syn speed Issue
Use the thompson to connect to your line in bridge mode, and connect it to WAN2 of the 2820.
Then you'll get the best of both worlds.

Moderators: ChrisSami