Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2110 DNS problems

• spacelem
  • Topic Author
More
07 May 2010 14:09 #1 by spacelem
Vigor 2110 DNS problems was created by spacelem
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with my new 2110, specifically relating to DNS. Note that this is the first time I've set a router up myself, and I mostly went by what I recall previous flatmates having done.

I went to Internet access/static or dynamic IP (I'm with Virgin Media) and enabled broadband access. After doing this, the Internet worked, but all my connections took a really long time to connect, and my computer reported that its DNS was set to 192.168.1.1 (the router).

I then tried to set Virgin Media's DNS servers (194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100) in LAN/General Setup, and found that solved the latency problem, however fairly regularly the router just stops doing DNS at all. I now need to reboot the router several times a day to restart DNS.

The only other things I've changed from the default settings are to open ports (mostly for ssh), and to enable wireless, although I had to do it without type N because that was very unreliable with my phone. I flashed the BIOS to the latest version, but it has made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the router keeps needing to be rebooted, and what I can do to make it more reliable? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2010 12:01 #2 by aaron_c
Replied by aaron_c on topic Vigor 2110 DNS problems
Hi there,

Not to hijack your thread but I've just got this router for a small business (to replace a netgear with wireless that has become intermittent).

The DNS on the drakytek is very very slow compared to the netgear, I thought these problems might be related if anyone out there has an answer.

Thanks,

Aaron

More
31 May 2010 15:03 #3 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic Vigor 2110 DNS problems
What do your clients now report as their DNS ?

192.168.1.1 or 194.168.4.100/194.168.8.100

More
22 Aug 2010 00:52 #4 by vincewebb
Replied by vincewebb on topic me too
I have a Vigor 2710 Vn
Firmware Version: 3.3.2.3_232201

By default the internal DHCP server was telling my PC to use 192.168.1.1 as a DNS server.
Whilst a broadband speed test gave a respectable result browsing the web was painfully slow. The status line in Firefox constantly displayed looking up this or that address.

In the DrayTek configuration I went to:
LAN -> General Setup
selected the "Force DNS manual setting" option
and added the primary and secondary DNS servers of my ISP.

I can now browse at normal speed.

Moderators: ChrisSami