Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Cannot alter DNS server??

• lectrician
  • Topic Author
More
24 May 2010 13:24 #1 by lectrician
Cannot alter DNS server?? was created by lectrician
I have a 2820 router.

I have recently been struggling with my ISP's DNS servers I believe - I find I have to reboot the router every so often because DNS does not resolve, but IP addresses work fine.

I assumed I could put different DNS server addresses into the DNS boxes in the LAN setup.

When I do this the default ISP servers still show in system overview and online status?

Also, could this be an issue with the router rather than ISP DNS? It seems odd that it works after a reboot for a while, even though it still displays the same ISP DNS servers?

Thanks for any support!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2010 00:05 #2 by colossus
Replied by colossus on topic Cannot alter DNS server??
hi

other people (and myself) seem to have the same problem - it mostly happens when i bit torrent, they suggest turning off DDoS on the router which i have done and will monitor to see how it goes. you might want to try that too.

thanks.

• lectrician
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2010 20:27 #3 by lectrician
Replied by lectrician on topic Cannot alter DNS server??
I am still struggling with my DNS servers with the ISP - If I use a different DNS server set manually on my machine it works fine.

I can't set the DNS on the router though - on a reboot the system overview shows my chosen DNS servers, but as soon as the ADSL is authenticated the DNS settings are forced by the ISP?

Is there away to stop this from happening?

Moderators: ChrisSami