DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820n - firmware caused DNS issues?

• leldoran
  • Topic Author
More
29 May 2010 13:46 #1 by leldoran
Hi all, hoping to find some help here for a problem I'm having with my Vigor 2820n router.

I recently upgraded the firmware from I believe 3.3.0.x to the most recent 3.3.3_232201. I'd been experiencing some random reboots, which I'd hoped the firmware upgrade would fix - these were annoying but manageable. Unfortunately, now the firmware is upgraded I'm faced with a much more serious issue with (apparently) DNS resolution on two of my attached devices. I retained all my settings when I performed the upgrade.

I'll try to describe my network setup; I have the ADSL line coming directly into the Vigor device. The only wired device I have hooked into the Vigor is an Xbox. Upstairs I have a Zoom bridge connected wirelessly, to which I have two machines wired, a Windows 7 machine and a Windows XP machine. We also have two laptops with wireless connections which connect to the Vigor (coincidently one XP, one 7).

Both laptops and the Windows 7 machine are completely fine. However the Xbox, and Windows XP machine seem to be having DNS resolution issues. I can't do much troubleshooting on the Xbox obviously, but the XP machine simply can't resolve any domains. (To be clear, every machine was working immediately prior to the upgrade).

Can somebody take a guess at what might be going on here? Are there any changes in how DNS traffic is handled between those two firmware versions.

If not, I'd like to try reverting the firmware back to the 3.3.0.x version I was running before, but can't find any download links to earlier firmware (nor do I know whether the device will accept a firmware downgrade).

Help?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami