DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

5 static IP addresses from BT

• daniel28
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2010 17:42 #1 by daniel28
5 static IP addresses from BT was created by daniel28
I have placed an order for 5 static IP addresses from BT.

I have tried to set this up on my Draytek 2600, but don't seem to have managed to get it working quite right.

The information I was given from BT is as follows:

IP addresses: 217.40.8.193 to 217.40.8.197

subnet mask: 255.255.255.248

Router LAN Port: 217.40.8.198

The current settings in the router are:

VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Encapsulation: LLC/SNAP
Protocol: PPPoE
Modulation: G.DMT

The weird thing is when I tried the wizard mode which allows me to put in most of the IP information it changed the router settings to:

Encapsulation: VC MUX
Protocol: PPPoA

Both different ways successfully connect to the internet, although now I have a dynamic IP address.

The closest I got to setting it up was in the MPoA settings page, but it would only transmit data, not receive anything.

Does anyone know how I might go about setting this up?

Thanks,

Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2010 22:15 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 5 static IP addresses from BT
the 2600 series can only use those IPs using either WAN IP Alias which you'll see as a button on the PPPoA setup page, make sure to leave "join NAT IP pool" unchecked for them then you can use them for port forwarding and DMZ.
The other way is to use 2nd subnet, which will let you give those IP addresses directly to LAN pcs - http://draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_2ndsubnet.html#disablenat

With BT as your ISP, using PPPoE/PPPoA client and these settings will work best:
Encapsulation: VC MUX
Protocol: PPPoA

• daniel28
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2010 22:58 #3 by daniel28
Replied by daniel28 on topic 5 static IP addresses from BT
Does the 2820 have more functionality? Are there more options available with it, or is it much the same situation?

More
23 Jun 2010 23:20 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 5 static IP addresses from BT
it works the same but you can set one of the public IPs that you have as the fixed IP address and it'll apply properly, something that the 2600 series cannot do unfortunately, because of the way BT have implemented their system.

• grahamjwhite@btinternet.c
More
30 Jun 2010 12:07 #5 by grahamjwhite@btinternet.c
Replied by grahamjwhite@btinternet.c on topic 5 static IP addresses from BT

Voodle wrote: it works the same but you can set one of the public IPs that you have as the fixed IP address and it'll apply properly, something that the 2600 series cannot do unfortunately, because of the way BT have implemented their system.

Voodle

Thanks for this tip.

I can confirm this as I am currently replacing a 2600 with a 2820 and would like to configure it this way instead of using the "2nd ip address" feature that I used on the 2600. I have set the router fixed ip address in the PPOA page and the 2820 now connects.

Graham

Moderators: ChrisSami