Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Redirection or Open Port

• mrfaize
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2010 23:52 #1 by mrfaize
Redirection or Open Port was created by mrfaize
First post so Hello All.

Looking through General FAQ for Port Forwarding, it seems to indicate that you can use either Port Redirection or Open Port to allow access to a web server on Private network. It also suggests precidence for Redirection over Open Port.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_portforwarding.html

The above method uses 'Open Ports Setup' in which an external port number is redirected to the same port number on an internet LAN PC. In some circumstances you might want to translate from one port to another, in which case you can use Port Redirection instead. This redirects a single port, as shown below. You can use the same port number in both boxes, in which case the facility is equivalent to Open Ports, giving you more capacity.

So if I specify a Redirection of a single port from port 8040 to 9040 and do not open any ports should this redirection work (it's not working for me)? Only when I Open a Port do I get traffic through. The FAQ suggests you can use Port Redirection instead which to me means I can use this and only this.

I'm using a Vigor 2800 router with static public IP.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2010 12:54 #2 by sbv3000
Replied by sbv3000 on topic Redirection or Open Port
an open port allows traffic on that external port to go to the same port internally, eg open port 80 and point it to an ip address of a web server and that will work.
port redirection can be useful if you want to run your internal webserver on a different port to 80, eg 8080. That can be an additional security asset.
also allows the reverse so if you have some internal web servers that run on port 80 and you want to manage externally, you can redirect extenal port 8080, 8081, 8082 etc all to port 80 (but to different IP addresses obviously) and that saves you reconfiguring those internal servers to different ports
this is handy for say web cams etc

• mrfaize
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2010 17:35 #3 by mrfaize
Replied by mrfaize on topic Redirection or Open Port
Thanks for that SBV3000 - sounds interesting.

The problem I had with the port redirection is now fixed thanks to the DrayTek support team.

I have only one public static IP and had mistakenly chosen an WAN IP Alias rather than the default 'All' option.

Moderators: ChrisSami