DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BT Infinity VDSL

• jason404
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jun 2010 19:02 #62504 by jason404
BT Infinity VDSL was created by jason404
I've just signed up for BT Infinity VDSL. It's getting installed on the 5th of July. It comes with an Openreach VDSL modem and a special version of the BT Home Hub, apparently.

I don't really know how VDSL system works, but I am assuming that this special version of the Home Hub is just one with a WAN connection - am I right?

So, can I attach the VDSL modem to a Draytek cable router, so I do not have to use the Home Hub (and therefore lose a lot of features I have grown accustomed to)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2010 23:53 #62506 by admin
Replied by admin on topic BT Infinity VDSL
Yes; it's just an Ethernet connection. Vigor2920 or 2130 could be used if you don't already have a suitable router.

n.b. whereabouts are you? I can't get it yet :-(

Forum Administrator

• jason404
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jun 2010 12:28 #62512 by jason404
Replied by jason404 on topic BT Infinity VDSL
That's good news. The BT guy on the phone, and the BT website said that the special Infinity Hub had to be used for it to work properly, but they probably just say that as they will not support anything else.

But is there any chance that the speed will be any slower when using another router? I have heard that Be internet works fastest with a router/modem that has a Broadcom chipset, like the supplied BeBox, as the service is optimised for it.

I guess that wouldn't apply for a router - as it is the modem which might have to be optimised, and I am going to be using the official Openreach VDSL modem anyway?

Is there any reason why you mentioned those two (rather expensive) models, or it is because they are just the main models currently for sale? Is there any particular thing I need to be looking out for, or will any cable router do, essentially?

I'm in North Watford, and now I have a reason to be pleased about that :)

Cheers.

More
10 Aug 2010 00:05 #63250 by misteroh
Replied by misteroh on topic BT Infinity VDSL
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting BT Infinity shortly, their website says it's available for me.
Out of curiosity, which model did you go with? And have you had any issues using it with BT Infinity?

• jason404
  • Topic Author
More
10 Aug 2010 00:23 #63251 by jason404
Replied by jason404 on topic BT Infinity VDSL
I actually went with a Netgear WNR3500L in the end and installed the Tomato Linux-based firmware (it can also run DD-WRT). It's been rock-solid so far and has all the features I need.

You'll really like BT Infinity. I'm about 500m away from my green box.

More
04 Nov 2010 14:04 #64699 by aligraham
Replied by aligraham on topic Vigor 2900G
Hi, I have just had BT Infinity installed in one of our remote sites. It previously had a Vigor 2800 for ADSL which we used to connect to HQ using a LAN to LAN vpn. The new BT Business Hub has no function to do VPNs so I replaced it with a Vigor 2900G. I have set all the settings correctly (as far as I can tell), PPPOE etc.., same settings as BT hub, but it refuses to see the WAN connection and picks up no address. Has anyone successfully connected a Vigor 2900G to Infinity? I see no reason why it shouldn't work? BT has next to no documentation on configuring a third party router or even a compatibility list. It would be good to hear if it can handle it before I splash out on a new router.

If I do splash out will a Vigor 2110n do the job for me? I see no feedback on this as yet, but can see the 2820n seems to be fine. Overkill for me however.

Cheers
Ali

Moderators: ChrisSami