DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Modem firmware for 2820 on DSLMax on long line

More
01 Jul 2010 10:13 #1 by drn
Hi,

I've recently purchased a 2820n (and upgraded firmware to 3.3.4_232201).

Now - I'm on a DSLMax (G.DMT) service still and am nearly 5Km from the exchange.

Initially the router was loosing sync daily - however BT have enabled interleaving & increased the SNR margin to 12. As a result, the router syncs at a lower speed, and there is more latency on the line. It is more stable though. Stats are currently:

Up speed: 448000
Down speed:3488000
SNR Margin: 12
Loop Att: 49

(The current BT profile is 3000).

The annoying thing is that my neighbour has a strong sync to the same exchange at over 4.5Mbs download, 700Kbs upload. They have a Netgear router.

My question is - would one of the other 2820 Modem Code firmwares enable me to connect with interleaving turned off, and allow for a lower SNR margin? If so - any suggestions which modem code to try. Our exchange doesn't switch to ADSL2+ until 2011!

Or would I be better of getting a Netgear instead?

Thanks,

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2010 12:11 #2 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Modem firmware for 2820 on DSLMax on long line
I would leave interleaving on. I am only a couple of km from the exchange (if that) and turning off interleaving just generates too many errors.

Leave interleaving on, and just see if you can get the SNR reduced. Go down to 9 first. If that is OK for a few days, then try going down to 6 - which going from your line stats it should be able to manage, but of course it depends what noise there is on the line.

I would also recommend tidying up any internal wiring, and getting a filtered faceplate (not the i-plate - have a look at ADSL Nation) and removing your bell wire.

More
01 Jul 2010 12:15 #3 by drn
OK - I'll aim for the SNR reduction first then.

Do you think the different modem code firmwares are unlikely to help?

I've already got a Clarity ADSL v1.0 faceplate - and as part of my BT tests have been running in the test socket for the last week on a standalone filter.

Ben

Moderators: ChrisSami