Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 keeps rebooting

• ia76
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jul 2010 17:59 #1 by ia76
2820 keeps rebooting was created by ia76
Hi

When I power up my 2820 it will get to the stage where the CSM, USB & ACT lights come on and it will then reboot again.

This has happened after flashing to new firmware.

HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ia76
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jul 2010 18:19 #2 by ia76
Replied by ia76 on topic 2820 keeps rebooting
I can't even reflash it because when I connect it to the pc the firmware upgrade software doesn't even pick up the router.

• ia76
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jul 2010 18:39 #3 by ia76
Replied by ia76 on topic 2820 keeps rebooting
I tried using the TFTP flash but now when I restart the router the ACT USB CSM lights just flash rapidly.

More
03 Jul 2010 17:32 #4 by anoracknophobia
Replied by anoracknophobia on topic Same problem, draytek brick
3.3.4 firmware did appear to work fine, but after approximately 24 hours, I noticed intermittent DHCP failure I.e. No IP sent to devices 'bound to MAC' list. After 48 hours ... Router is nuked, with the same symptoms of flashing LEDs, and no connectivity. I have no idea how I can re-flash the firmware. Do I now own a draytek brick ?

More
04 Jul 2010 10:34 #5 by robgreenwood
Replied by robgreenwood on topic All is not lost, it happened to me!
I flashed the new 3.3.4 firmware last week and the router did exactly the same thing. After worrying that I'd bricked it I found a solution.

Download the Draytek router tools and the old firmware 3.3.3.
Hardwire a connection to the router
Turn off the router, hold the factory reset and restart it tries to recover. During this time you'll see you get limited connectivity, its at this point you use the router tools to upload the old firmware.

After a few mins everything back and running!

I experimented with this and found that if I flash a FULL upgrade (i.e. don't keep my settings and start from scratch) the router starts with new 3.3.4. If I then apply my saved config router fails again.

Seems this upgrade won't work with old 3.3.3 config.

More
05 Jul 2010 11:25 #6 by mph
Replied by mph on topic Re: Same problem, draytek brick
@anoracknophobia: see http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14489 - DHCP bug with 'bind-to-mac'.

@robgreenwood: see http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14507 - There's a problem with keeping settings from older versions. A clean install of firmware is fine, but as soon as you apply your old settings file (either through .all upgrade or by .rst and restore) you get a reboot cycle.

Moderators: ChrisSami