Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Awww Did I BRICK my Draytek 2820?

• keyvan
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jul 2010 10:38 #1 by keyvan
Awww Did I BRICK my Draytek 2820? was created by keyvan
Hi,

I updated my firmware to 3.3.3.4 from 3.3.3.1 and it restarted fine. Made a couple of changes restarted again and now nothing!

Tried hardware reset, nothing happens.

Now when I switch it on 3 solid lights show up on the left then the ACT & WAN light stay on solid. Then all the lights flash except the centre one (DSL) then it goes back to ACT WAN. I can hear it keeps clicking every 1 minute or so.

Tried to restart it in TFTP mode with no luck?

Any ideas? :( [/i]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2010 11:23 #2 by weehappypixie
Replied by weehappypixie on topic Awww Did I BRICK my Draytek 2820?
Hi,

First, are you using the .all or .rst firmware?

Download the firmware you require and make sure it's suitable for the UK. Also download and install the RouterTools software.

Now switch your windows firewall off for now then set your pc LAN card (not wireless) ip address to 192.168.1.2 with subnet 255.255.255.0. You dont need a gateway or dns and can leave them out.

Power off the DrayTek, connect a network cable between your PC and port 1 on the router. Start the Firmware Update tool that was installed as part of the Router Tools.

Enter ip address 192.168.1.1 for the router (this is hardcoded when using tftp)

Browse to the firmware file (I would recommend the .rst one and then you can put your config back in afterwards).

Change the timeout to 60.

Insert a paperclip into the factory reset button on the front of the vigor and press it in. Keep it pressed in and power on the vigor. After about 5 seconds release the paperclip and then hit the Send button on the Firmware Upgrade utility and if all goes to plan it should send a new firmware to the router. Give it time and it should respond after a few minutes.

If all goes to plan it will reboot as normal and the normal lights will appear. Youcan now reset your LAN to dhcp if you used it before and also switch your firewall back on.

Opening the webpage 192.168.1.1 will allow you to reconfigure it.

Hope this helps.

John

• keyvan
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jul 2010 11:31 #3 by keyvan
Replied by keyvan on topic Awww Did I BRICK my Draytek 2820?
:D :D :D
Thanks! IT WORKS!
It was the Windows 7 Firewall. Switched it off completely!
After I switched that off I managed to upload 3.3.3 gonna leave 3.3.4 alone for now.

Only reason for my upgrade was that I needed TrueDMZ which my old firmware didn't have, but 3.3.3 has it.

Thanks Again!

More
02 Jul 2010 16:12 #4 by weehappypixie
Replied by weehappypixie on topic Awww Did I BRICK my Draytek 2820?

keyvan wrote: :D :D :D
Thanks! IT WORKS!
It was the Windows 7 Firewall. Switched it off completely!
After I switched that off I managed to upload 3.3.3 gonna leave 3.3.4 alone for now.

Only reason for my upgrade was that I needed TrueDMZ which my old firmware didn't have, but 3.3.3 has it.

Thanks Again!

Glad you got it working. I have to admit that the tftp recovery mode has saved me many many bricked routers over the years.

John

Moderators: ChrisSami