DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setting up filter rules on Vigor 2800g

• acehoba
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jul 2010 10:03 #1 by acehoba
Can someone pls let me know how to setup filter rules - basically I want to restrict RDP access to only one source IP

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2010 10:17 #2 by moggsie
Replied by moggsie on topic Setting up filter rules on Vigor 2800g
I assume you want to access a device on the LAN side of the router from the WAN ?

If so, I think you have to look at opening up a port to start with ( NAT >> Open Ports setup ) and direct it at a specific device IP on the LAN side.

NAT on routers generally do not allow any unsolicited incoming traffic - which is what you're initial RDP session will start off as.

Then, what you have to do depends on your existing filter regime. If you're already passing everything, it should work OK. If you're blocking everything going out and then only allowing through ports that you need, you will have to add RDP to the list. I think that this is port 3389.

Sorry I'm not more detailed, but as I say, it depends on what rules you already have to a very large extent.

• acehoba
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jul 2010 12:46 #3 by acehoba
Replied by acehoba on topic Setting up filter rules on Vigor 2800g
Thanks - any idea how to do it via telnet only?

More
14 Jul 2010 13:03 #4 by moggsie
Replied by moggsie on topic Setting up filter rules on Vigor 2800g
Well to me, TELNET & RDP are quite separate things.

TELNET is purely a character stream, and how the characters are interpreted is purely down to the TELNET server.

RDP is a graphical interface.

If all you want to do is to manage your router, that's fairly easy I think. Look under "System Maintenance >> Management>>Management Setup"

You might of course need to enable the Telnet Port under "NAT >> Open Ports "

If you need to TELNET into a client on your LAN ( i.e. UNIX/LINUX box ) I suppose it's quite similar.

• acehoba
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jul 2010 10:26 #5 by acehoba
Replied by acehoba on topic Setting up filter rules on Vigor 2800g
No sorry I meant to telnet access to the router only (ie not using the web interface) but I have got that up and running now so I will review your prev post Thanks

Moderators: ChrisSami