DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 dual WAN problems

More
14 Jul 2010 11:53 #1 by bigh
2820 dual WAN problems was created by bigh
I have a 2820n with ADSL2+ on WAN1 and a Netgear DG834 (modem mode) on WAN2 (over PPOE) also on ADSL2+.

Both work fine from a connectivity point of view and the failover works OK also. My issue is that I have my own webserver on my internal LAN which I have port forwarding enabled which up until now (with only one ADSL connection) worked fine. If I enable both WAN ports to work together my website is not accessable from within my local network, however from the outside it works fine. If I disable WAN1 (or put in failover mode) then I can see my website again internally.

The WAN2 port has an effectively fixed IP which is configured with with my domain DNS setup.

Some other issues I've had, I use PLUSNET and NEWNET as my ADSL providers. Initially I had plusnet on WAN1 and tried to get Newnet working on WAN2 (PPOE via the netgear). The newnet refused to work, however when I swapped them around Plusnet over PPOE (WAN2) works fine and the Newnet over PPOA (WAN1) worked OK. Has anyone seen that before?

Any tips or tricks appreciated.

Regards BigH

Regards BigH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2010 16:37 #2 by rpg
Replied by rpg on topic 2820 dual WAN problems
With both WAN ports enabled what response do you get from a PING to the web server IP from your local network? Also what about a tracert to the webserver IP?

More
14 Jul 2010 17:14 #3 by bigh
Replied by bigh on topic 2820 dual WAN problems
Ping works fine, in fact if I open up IE and type the local IP address of the webserver the home page appears OK. If I use the proper web address it does not.

Regards BigH

Regards BigH

More
16 Jul 2010 16:46 #4 by rpg
Replied by rpg on topic 2820 dual WAN problems
just to get this straight in my head !

Lets say Draytek 2820 is 192.168.0.1. The Client PC is 192.168.0.10 and the web server is 192.168.0.20.

The webserver is hosting www.mywebsite.com.

You have an external DNS record on mywebsite.com which points www to the IP of your your ADSL connection. You then have port forwarding on the 2820 for port 80 to 192.168.0.20 on ALL WAN connections (check thats not just WAN1 or WAN2).

From the outside world www.mywebsite.com points to your ADSL IP adress (which one PlusNet or NewNet?) and the router does port forwarding to the webserver.

Internally, if you type in www.mywebsite.com with only WAN2 enabled its going to resolve the DNS records as the IP of the ADSL and should port forward again to the webserver.

With both WAN ports enabled, in failover or whatever, the DNS shoudl point to your ADSL IP and the 2820 should port forward to the webserver.

The only thing that I can think of is that your port forwarding rules are wrong somehow or your DNS settings are wrong. You do mention that WAN2 is configured with your domain DNS setup. What do you mean by that?

Moderators: ChrisSami