Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Orange 3G USB on 2820n Problems

• craigside
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jul 2010 09:23 #1 by craigside
Orange 3G USB on 2820n Problems was created by craigside
Hi

My landline ADSL is very poor (250K download) due to (I am told) distance from exchange. However my iPhone has 3G download of 2Mb, so I want to setup 3G on my 2820n router.

I have got an Orange 3G HUAWEI e1720 dongle. I have tested the dongle in my laptop and it works fine, I plug it into router and have followed the Draytek setup config and Starting PPP but nothing happens.

I have looked at the other posting on this subject and have tried APN 'consumerbroadband', 'orangevpn, and 'orangeinternet'. My firmware is 3.3.3

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2010 08:14 #2 by baldydad
Replied by baldydad on topic 3G dongle issues
Welcome to the dark world of not so "3G" Craigside!
Leave logic behind and do some shooting from the hip---following the book with a E1752 & E160 nearly put me over the cliff recently.
Eventually I took all my gear to an office block in city centre with proven 3G solid reception and guess what-- everything started to work yet I did nothing different than when in the suburbs. When you get back home put the router & dongle upstairs for a better signal and comm by wireless but don`t expect it to be "always on"-- I still have random line drops.
Orange DNS of 193.36.79.100 works for me. For those not on Orange then make very sure you find and insert correct DNS for your SIM provider.
For Interneteverywhere: APN= consumerbroadband & dial = ATDT*99***1#
I did all the Telnet commands to get things started and that was all, try 3.3.4 firmware as well.
It seems to me that once you get things up and away you don`t look back-- a bit like loss of virgin*ty!!

Found exactly same with some cheap routers, also have a 1752 which I bang in my laptop everytime I get to a new location around UK --then I do speedtest.net check & guess what-- it has never been above 2mb let alone 7.2!!!

Good luck & post feedback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami