DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Pre-Sales: V2820 is the ADSL high performance on long lines?

• omlette brothers
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jul 2010 07:29 #1 by omlette brothers
Hi,

I've owned a number of Drayteks from 2600 thro to 2800 until a few years ago when I switched to the 2Wire 2700HGV. I found that the 2800 ADSL perfomance was poor in comparison (even with long reach firmware).

So would anyone recommend the v2820 on long lines in terms of stability and performance?. Does it have a good reputation with Infineon based DSLAMs? My current stats look like this;

[/list]

With the 2800, I posted this a couple of years ago

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=53128&highlight=#53128

My aim is to load balance two TalkTalk lines so will also need a Draytel modem (recommended?) as well as upgrading my old 54G infrastructure to Wireless N.

For those who bought the 2820 is it £170 well spent?

Vigor 2800VG 2.8
Vigor 2600G 2.5.9 UK2
Netgear HDX101 x4
..online since 1982 with VTX5000/Hayes/Zoom/Supra/USR....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2010 11:31 #2 by willow
Ive always found our 2820s to sync pretty low when compared to others.

Were on the poor end of the exchange and our draytek here syncs at 3 to 3.1meg. The other routers and modems kicking atound however will provide up to 3.5 - 3.7 on the same line.

Our BE box syncs at 5meg / 1meg and the same line on the 2820 came in about 4.3 if I recall.

Im guessing this is the chipset in use however so theirs not much that can be done. For its price however I cant fault the 2820 for stability vs features. Its a top bit of kit even in light of its slightly slower speeds.

• omlette brothers
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jul 2010 17:46 #3 by omlette brothers
Thanks Willow - I'd had a gut feeling that the 2820 doesnt have a particularly strong set of skills with noisy lines, which is a big shame since a few other manufacturers products are particularly good.

In the end Ive plumped for a Billion 7800N which on the face of it, is identical feature set but has a broadcom chipset (good at noisy long lines). It also has a 4 port gig switch which supports jumbo frames.

No doubt Ill be back in the future....

Vigor 2800VG 2.8
Vigor 2600G 2.5.9 UK2
Netgear HDX101 x4
..online since 1982 with VTX5000/Hayes/Zoom/Supra/USR....

More
28 Jul 2010 10:17 #4 by admin
A chipset reporting or genuinely syncing at a particular speed isn't the same as its real world throughput. If you sync. too high, error correction could gobble up much of that 'claimed' bandwidth. So, I'd do a real world like for like comparison rather than relying on status screens.

Forum Administrator

Moderators: ChrisSami