Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n WAN backup

• benji
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jul 2010 15:47 #1 by benji
2820n WAN backup was created by benji
Hi

From what I understand the default configuration is for ADSL as a primary and Ethernet as secondary/backup.

Is it possible to use this the other way round? Not 100% sure how the Ethernet would detect a connectivity issue (default gateway/upstream router unavailable?) but I know it can be done on more expensive kit! :wink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2010 12:37 #2 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 2820n WAN backup
Yes

• benji
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jul 2010 12:55 #3 by benji
Replied by benji on topic 2820n WAN backup
Thanks. Any idea what would trigger the ADSL to connect - is it just routing set to failover if it cant route traffic? How configurable is it? I wouldnt want it to use the ADSL if just one route/site was down somewhere.

edit: I should have just looked on the router really :) I presume its just set in the "WAN Connection Detection" ARP/Ping? It would be nice to try and ping more than one point, plus how often does it do it? (cant see a setting for that?!)

More
29 Jul 2010 13:04 #4 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 2820n WAN backup
I've not set one up for failover, so I've not looked into it too much, but I'm pretty sure you set limits so that WAN1 is only used if WAN2 is over 80% capacity, or if it fails etc.
The ADSL would stay connected, the rules just decide when to use it.
You can set up routing rules for WAN2 First etc, so it will only try WAN1 if WAN2 fails.

Have a look in the WAN settings, and post a more specific question if you have problems.

Moderators: ChrisSami