DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Drop Outs

• robathome
  • Topic Author
More
10 Aug 2010 13:22 #1 by robathome
2820 Drop Outs was created by robathome
Over the last few months we have been getting constant drop outs on our 2820. It's a 2820Vn and only about a year old.

They take the form of:
Router rebooting
ADSL dropping and then coming back
Certain users not being able to access any websites while other users can. The router then need rebooting to re-establish those users.

We have tried just about everything possible - manual DNS servers, firmware upgrade with the latest .RST file (3.3.4), and the ISP have reprofiled many times. The dropouts are still occuring every couple of hours or so, sometimes more.

We then replaced the draytek with a netgear, and for 5 days it was up 100%. I put the newly firmwared draytek back on and it fell over within 15 minutes.

Do you think it's simply a faulty 2820 or some design flaw? I really need to use the 2820 to load balance so the netgear isn't a long term option.

Anyone else suffering similarly?
thanks
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robathome
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2010 10:32 #2 by robathome
Replied by robathome on topic 2820 Drop Outs
More info - it's getting ridiculous. We took the netgear out and bought a brand new 2820n. This is doing exactly the same thing as the previous one - locking people out after 30 mins or 1 hour - had to be reset three times this morning already. We are on ADS2+ on nildram - here are our settings:

Channel:1, VPI:0, VCI:38, Protocol:PPPoA/VC MUX, Modulation:ADSL2+ annex M, Fixed IP Address:x.x.x.x

Just to reiterate - a netgear router stays up constantly without needing any rebooting.

The new 2820n is on 3.3.4, but we had these problems on 3.3.3 in any case.

Is this a settings or firmware issue - any suggestions would be very helpful!

rgds
Rob

More
13 Aug 2010 11:53 #3 by chaosd
Replied by chaosd on topic 2820 Drop Outs
I would take a Guess and say it is down to some sort of Settings or Security Features.

Have You tried Connecting to the Router Locally via Ethernet to see if the Router is still Sending and Recieving Data?

Also, When it locks You out, can you access the Config page locally via Ethernet using the Administrator Login?

One more thing, I don't know for sure but the possibility could be that the Router is overheating [Is your Office well ventilated or Air Conditioned?]

My Suggestions are not Garunteed to Help You, but are worth trying atleast.

More
17 Aug 2010 16:01 #4 by alberttatlockscap
Replied by alberttatlockscap on topic 2820 Drop Outs
Hi

I have also had a similar experience on a 2820n where users got kicked off certain websites - eg Banks and others wher they logged in with a username.

I also solved it by putting a Simple Netgear N spec wireless router in place of teh Netgear - for now anyway - all those problem swent away and it has been running fine for a week or more now without issues
Only problem now is that I don't have VPN into the site ...

We had a dual Wan setuip with the Draytek with 2 ADSL lines and a Vigor 120 modem on the second line which handled the VOIP lines

All telephone traffic was put down line 2 with line 1 handling the internet access

I put it down to the Draytek automatically swapping IPs if it dropped the line and swapped to line 2 - which is strange as I had rules set to restrict both lines to their own traffic

Anyway - I left the Draytek setup to handle just VOIP on one line and the Netgear is independent of that on line 2 for the LAN and internet

I would be glad to hear from anyone who has similar experiences / or found a soultion.

Moderators: ChrisSami