DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2710 USB drive Samba access with Windows 7

• eddyad
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2010 19:45 #1 by eddyad
Having managed to get my USB drive working with XP I now have a new PC and Windows 7 :( I've got as far as FTP access but I cant get Samba to work. I can access the contents of the drive but only as FTP.
In Draytek setup I get as far as the USB status and there are no FTP users shown as connected. So I can't proceed to the next stage of Samba setup as there is no NetBios Name Service section shown in the USB General Settings.
I can get to a Windows Explorer window which comes up as Network 192.168.1.1 and contains two icons - MyName Share and public share. If I click on the MyName icon I get to the Network Password window and my USB username and password are rejected.
I'm now (again) at a total loss in this can of worms in Windows 7 networking. Can anyone help please? :?
Thank you :?

P.S. In FTP all the folders and files show the same date and time 20/12/2009 03:49 - even files and folders which were only put on the drive a couple of days ago :o

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2010 19:51 #2 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic 2710 USB drive Samba access with Windows 7
You need to change Win7's Lan Manger authentication method, search the forum for more info.

• eddyad
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2010 20:54 #3 by eddyad
Replied by eddyad on topic 2710 USB drive Samba access with Windows 7
Thank you.
I found this entry and set as described but no change after computer restart and 2710 reboot.
"You have to add a DWORD value called LmCompatibilityLevel to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|System|CurrentControlSet|Control|Lsa and set the value to 2"
Also tried a value of 1 as suggested in M'soft site, but no joy there either.
So nothing's changed. Still rejecting my network password and no NetBios Name Service and no FTP Users Connected even thought FTP access is OK.
It surely can't be as difficult as this to set up can it? I've spent over four hours on it today.
Any more help anyone please?

More
14 Aug 2010 10:10 #4 by rothers
Gave this a go in both WinXP-Pro SP3 & Win7-Pro on 3.3.4 with a FAT32 4GB USB stick. Clean installs, no firewall or anti-vir.

Best I can conclude is SMB USB support is a stinking mess.

Created 5 users, all work fine with FTP. First attempt to connect over SMB on both XP and Win7 succeed eventually but take an age to authenticate and file transfer is extremely slow. Attempting to connect a second user fails at the authentication stage with both XP & Win7, tried Win7 with default and LmCompatibility=1.

I've used a succession of Vigor routers for both myself and my customers (starting with the excellent 2600+) and, what with all the other problems with 3.3.4, I have never seen things in such a desperate state. This is the end of the line for me with Draytek products.

• eddyad
  • Topic Author
More
14 Aug 2010 16:01 #5 by eddyad
Replied by eddyad on topic 2710 USB drive Samba access with Windows 7
Thanks for cheering me up :D
Seriously, I've just emailed Draytek Support in the hope they'll help.
I agree abut file transfer - painfully slow when I had XP but it worked.
I'm wondering now if NAS HDD would be better. I have a spare Sata HDD and could get a LAN drive enclosure, but I'd want good performance and don't want to waste money. I found one at a reasonable price, but it seems to use Samba -perhaps that's the sticking point.

More
14 Aug 2010 16:28 #6 by rothers
Samba is excellent, that's not the problem. We use Samba on our OS-X servers and it's fine. Take the Draytek out of the equation and use a proper NAS.

I was only attempting to get the 2820 USB stick to work out of curiosity, would never dream of using it for serious network storage.

Moderators: ChrisSami