Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2910 BT 5 Public IP addresses

• spoonfed
  • Topic Author
More
14 Aug 2010 15:48 #1 by spoonfed
2910 BT 5 Public IP addresses was created by spoonfed
Draytek Vigor 2910 fw 3.2.3.1

I've been provided with 5 public IP addresses by BT, I have 4 pc's on the lan, 3 I want NATed to the router IP address with a 4th set to use a public IP.

I've struggled for hours to get the public IP going but to no avail. Imagine I have a factory reset router, what should I set and what should I not set to achieve this?

IP Addresses: A.B.C.73 to A.B.C.77
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.248
Router Lan Port: A.B.C.78

I've put a static IP address into my server of A.B.C.73 with gateway A.B.C.78 & used opendns servers for DNS. I've now lost contact with that machine. It's not showing up in the routers' ARP cache. Everything is on a remote site so I can't just walk up to it and see what it's problem is.

On WAN1 on the router I have to specify a fixed IP or it dynamically leases the wrong ip address (D.E.F.17) which happens to be the fixed IP from BT before I upgraded to 5 addresses.

I've NATed successfully into a workstation on site and can RDP into this workstation using the router IP (A.B.C.78). From this workstation I still can't find my server (neither RDP, teamviewer by ID or IP, or ping)

If anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

Toby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2010 21:40 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2910 BT 5 Public IP addresses
Have you set up IP routing on the router so that that public IP will be routed correctly? this guide should help: http://draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_2ndsubnet.html#disablenat

• spoonfed
  • Topic Author
More
16 Aug 2010 12:04 #3 by spoonfed
Replied by spoonfed on topic 2910 BT 5 Public IP addresses
Yes.

I've managed to get the public IP working now, but I can't route from the server A.B.C.73 to any of the private IPs on 192.168.1.x

If I do a TRACERT it shows traffic being sent straight out WAN1.

ie
tracert 192.168.1.1 completes in 1 step
tracert 192.168.1.14 goes to hostA-B-C-78.in-addr.btopenworld.com then times out.

Whatever I change 2nd IP address (in 2nd IP routing) to is what appears as the first jump for the above tracert.

Gateway WAN ip is always A.B.C.78, but if 2nd IP adress is A.B.C.77 then first routing hop is hostA-B-C-77.in-addr.btopenworld.com etc.

As far as I can tell the 2nd IP address should match the WAN address?

Incidently I can ping and tracert the server from the private network

tracert A.B.C.73

tracing route to hostA-B-C-73.in-addr.btopenworld.com [A.B.C.73] over a maximum 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms SRV.router [192.168.1.1]
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms hostA-B-C-73.in-addr.btopenworld.com [A.B.C.73]

Help

Moderators: ChrisSami