DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820vn security setup advice needed asap, plz

• whitenoise
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2010 01:58 #1 by whitenoise
Hi, Ive been trying to figure this one out and I've gone round in circles for a while.

I moved from the 2600 to the 2820vn a month or so ago, and thought that I had set everything up correctly. I started having issues with my wired, (through dlan plugs), connection. The connection was needing to be reset at least twice a day, but changing to a manual static IP seemed to have done the trick.

While I was getting this fixed I noticed some strange MAC's/ID's in the DHCP table. Basically several items....BlackBerry, xbox, couple of PC's, that are from the surrounding area have been issued with IP addresses! I kept an eye on the Data Flow Monitor and eventually I noticed one of the PC's connected and using data....I blocked it and rebooted the router. (I also noticed that the PC was listed in Windows7's Network's in explorer.)

Note that I have disconnected the antenna's and turned off the wireless LAN, but somehow today a couple of the devices have been connected and issued IP's again?

Also Note that I have WAN1 enabled, WAN2 not enabled. I have WPA2/PSK enabled with a totally random 63 digit code. I thought that I was creating a very simple and secure wired/wireless network, but I must have missed something here.

I have just changed the routers channel and reset it to clear the DHCP table, so I'll be seeing if that makes a difference. As you can imagine I am worried about my bandwidth usage as well as the security of my files and passwords.

Thanks for your help

WOW look at that, registered Sep 29th 2005 and this is my first post! that's gotta be some kinda record. :oops: :roll: :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2010 08:32 #2 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic 2820vn security setup advice needed asap, plz
How secure is your dLAN ?

• whitenoise
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2010 10:37 #3 by whitenoise
Replied by whitenoise on topic 2820vn security setup advice needed asap, plz
As far as I'm aware the plugs are secure. I'm sure you know that they work with the wiring in the house, I cant see any way these could be a problem. The plugs need to be on the same electrical circuit to work....

It does seem like a wireless problem, (blackberry would be connected via wireless atleast, if it was connected to a pc, it would show up as that pc surely?), though how they showed up when I had disabled WLAN and disconnected the antenna's is beyond me. I was hoping that I had missed something and that a unsecured wireless network was still open, kinda like the BT hubs do......

Anyway, the latest development is that I left the wireless on last night and there does not seem to be any difference in the "Leased Time" of any of the devices.....This could be just a coincidence, of course, and they haven't noticed I'm online again...or there could have been some problem with several routers in the area all using the same frequency? Could this have caused the problems I have described? My router giving them an IP, etc.

I suppose the answer is to leave the wireless on and see if there are any new developments.

EDIT: Got back from work to discover that I have two new entries in the DHCP table "stephen-bf579f7" and "KIDS-PC", so looks like this isn't fixed. :(

I have now switched the wireless to N only for the time being, and I am making a list of my known MAC addresses so I can make sure I know which connections are unwanted.

More
23 Aug 2010 22:05 #4 by geo13647
Replied by geo13647 on topic 2820vn security setup advice needed asap, plz
try removing the ethernet over power plugs.
Remember, the terminating end of YOUR 'leccy supply is the substation, that's one long antenna and cable going through lots of homes.
These things are a disaster & have never been EMC approved. they are a better transmitter than the wifi.

Best to cable it or use Ruckus or wifi.

G...

• whitenoise
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2010 23:12 #5 by whitenoise
Replied by whitenoise on topic 2820vn security setup advice needed asap, plz
hmmm, since I just set up this pc with WIN7 I had to download the DLAN COCKPIT, (the new version of the configuration software, I suppose).

The screen showed 2 Devolo adapters and 2 blank...at first I thought that they were blank because there wasn't an adapter present, but then I got a shock.

At some point I've managed to turn off, (or more like - not turn back on), the 128 bit security feature on these plugs. :oops: :roll: When I entered a password in the software it warned me that the non-devolo plugs would be removed from the network! :shock: There is a very good chance that this was the cause of my leak, (rather than the wireless LAN)....

...also, I never considered that the signal would pass outside of my property, I always was thought it was stuck to the circuit the plug was connected to? This would be how the Blackberry was able to connect I suppose, and it was wasn't covered by any router security. :roll:

I'm gonna reboot the router to clear everything, then keep a close eye on the DFM and DHCP table, but I actually think that this is the answer. :D

Thanks a lot. 8) It figures that my first problem with a Draytek router in the 5 years of use, wasn't with the router at all! :lol:

More
24 Aug 2010 08:18 #6 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic 2820vn security setup advice needed asap, plz
Just keep an ear open for all your neighbours complaining they've just lost internet access :lol:

Moderators: ChrisSami