DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VPI / VCI Clash

• konetic
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2010 14:38 #1 by konetic
VPI / VCI Clash was created by konetic
Hi there, got a 2820 and adding a second broadband service to it on WAN2.

Both WAN1 and WAN2 services are PPPoA and both have VPI / VCI as 0 / 38. This is not allowed by the router on the Multi PVCs screen. What happens now? I thought the VPI / VCI was provided by the ISP so can I just change either one to something else and if so to what? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2010 15:12 #2 by rpg
Replied by rpg on topic VPI / VCI Clash
Are you plugging in an ADSL connection direct to WAN2? if so that will not work - the 2820 has a single ADSL modem (WAN1) and an ethernet port on WAN2. You will need a second ADSL modem to control the second ADSL and that can then plug into WAN2.

• konetic
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2010 16:13 #3 by konetic
Replied by konetic on topic VPI / VCI Clash

rpg wrote: Are you plugging in an ADSL connection direct to WAN2? if so that will not work - the 2820 has a single ADSL modem (WAN1) and an ethernet port on WAN2. You will need a second ADSL modem to control the second ADSL and that can then plug into WAN2.

I have a second ADSL modem / router from BT which I'm connecting through the WAN2 port by ethernet cable.

Found out that tou can't have PPPoA on the WAN2 connection. So have changed the connection details on the 2nd router to PPPoE and that still works on it's own but still can't get WAN2 to dial up and connect. The online status page tells me No response from server side.

Most frustrating!

More
24 Aug 2010 09:50 #4 by rpg
Why dont you just get get the BT router working normally then set WAN2 to be a Static or Dynamic IP (WAN -> Internet Access -> Static or Dynamic IP). Setup like this the BT router should hold the connection on that ADSL and the BT router will give the Draytek (WAN2) an internal IP in the same way that your ISP will give the BT router an external IP. Do make sure though that the IP ranges of the two routers are different, (i.e. 192.168.0.x and 192.168.10.x) otherwise the Draytek LAN will conflict with WAN2.

If you need to access the Draytek network from WAN2 ADSL you can setup port forwarding rules (or DMZ) on the BT router directing traffic to the Draytek.

• konetic
  • Topic Author
More
24 Aug 2010 12:35 #5 by konetic
Replied by konetic on topic VPI / VCI Clash

rpg wrote: Why dont you just get get the BT router working normally then set WAN2 to be a Static or Dynamic IP (WAN -> Internet Access -> Static or Dynamic IP).

Draytek is 192.168.200.1

BT is 192.168.100.1

What static IP, Subnet and gateway address would go in this page?

192.168.100.1, 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.100.1? I'm VERY rusty on this stuff :cry:

More
24 Aug 2010 12:52 #6 by rpg
Nearly !!!

Konetic wrote: 192.168.100.1, 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.100.1?

If the BT router has DHCP enabled (i.e. it will give out an IP address to a PC connected on the LAN) then all you need to do is set the Draytek WAN2 to dynamic and the BT router will lease an IP to Draytek WAN2.

If you want to set it statically (which is probabaly better) then on the draytek set WAN2 to:
IP: 192.168.100.10 (or an unused IP from the BT router range)
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.100.1

Moderators: ChrisSami